Gateway? mcp61pm-am ver 1.0

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gateway? mcp61pm-am ver 1.0

Postby Michaeljay2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm

I can't find a manual for this mobo. I believe it's a gateway mobo but The little bit of info I get from gateway doesn't have any 64 bit drivers. The bios id is 02-15-2007-mcp61pm-am-6a61ke11c-00. There's a amd athlon 64bit dual core 3800 processer installed. My problem is the video on a few games I tried to play. I installed the nvidia drivers and there's no problems accordind to the system and direct x also reports no problems. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong memory installed due to the shared aspect this could be my problem. I'm using 2 1 gig sticks of single channel @ 400mhz ddr2. Everything else works fine but without a manual I'm blind. Can anyone help?
Michaeljay2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 am

Did you check this Gateway site page?
Could not find a good link for the user's manual. But the board may be sourced by ECS, and used in several model brands.
2 gigs of system memory is marginal for current OS types. And when using on-board video, restrict the dedicated or "video aperture" memory to no more than 25% of total memory.. or the system will be slow in performance. That board does have a PCI-E video slot, so consider an add-on video card with its own memory.. minimal 512 megs. This will free up main system memory for the OS.. and vastly improve performance, as the CPU no longer has to sort/route data and render video.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Michaeljay2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 am

I did try a pcie card with only 256 megs memory and had the same problem also have the apature down to minimum setting. Tried the same gatway site and also looked at the ecs site to no avail. Guess I'll have to either get a new mobo or build a new quad core unit. Thanks anyway. I have noticed that most mobos that take this processer are mostly dual channel mem of either ddr2 or ddr3 and usally a minimum of 600 or so mhz.
Michaeljay2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 am

If no improvement with a dedicated video card, then the problem is elsewhere.
Several other factors can be a cause for poor performance.. especially a PSU that has little or no reserve! Those "off-the-shelf" packages rarely have robust PSU types.. only adequate for how the system was built.
Best to list the full details of the system..
PSU brand/wattage
CPU ID tag
Memory ID
BIOS string
These factors will help with better suggestions for a cure. AMD does not have an "easy" reference chart like Intel does. But with either, you need the specific stepping number or core ID to get the exact specs. Some processors rely on a 200 Mhz FSB base, fine with 400 Mhz memory speed. But if the CPU requires a higher FSB base, then memory must also be compatible to that speed.. or performance will suffer.
And with some AMD products, the socket may be identical in appearance.. yet be wired differently, and not accept all CPU models. Then too, older motherboard models may not be capable of true 64-bit operation, even with a BIOS update.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm

It seems this manual is covering a series of motherboards and includes your board.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Downlo ... Download-3

It has a Geforce 6150 chip onboard:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 107-7.html

as you can see that performs the same as a 5200 or a amd 9200E and those are the absolute rock-bottom cards out there. No surpise it can't run any game younger than about 6 or 7 years old. Get a decent video card.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum