[SOLVED] which files to add to usb

Moderator: The Mod Squad

[SOLVED] which files to add to usb

Postby visu » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:24 am

motherboard is GA A75M D2H

i downloaded and extracted the bios update file. there were 3 files...
- A75MD2H.F5
- autoexec.bat
- FLASHSPI.EXE

to update using Q-flash, do I copy all 3 files to the thumbdrive or just a75md2h.f5?
Last edited by visu on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
visu
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am

All files would be required. The 'autoexec.bat' file is a command set that enables semi-automatic execution. One other file would be the BIOS program, another the installer (flashing) program.
It is advisable to save the old BIOS program.. as the same name as the newer one, but instead of using "bin" as a tag name, use "old" or "def" (default). This way the newer file will not be overwritten. If you ever have to undo the flash process, you have the original program. Just rename the files. Use "new" instead of "bin" on the newer file for a tagname.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby visu » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:17 pm

i'm not sure how to rename the old file etc. the step by step guide link http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=16186 doesnt work. do you have the latest guide somewhere else?
visu
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:30 am

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowT ... hBIOS.html

and updated the link in that post, thanks for reminding me :)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 am

Typically, a command box should appear on screen, asking for the name of the file to be saved. Use the original file name as programmed, but the tagname (last three characters after the period) would by default be "bin" (for binary). Use another tag name, as previously noted.. to ensure the old file being saved does not overwrite the newer file.
With modern BIOS programming, the program file may exceed 2 megs.. so a floppy disk would not be appropriate. Hence the trend toward a USB flash device. The link evasive provided is well heeded!
When in BASIC mode of operation, you have only a 16-bit platform of use.. hence only 8 characters for a file name, plus allowable three characters for a tagname. Each character requires two bits of information!! Refer to the ASCII table.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS