New Windows Features ?????

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New Windows Features ?????

Postby c327 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:22 am

I was wondering if any of the latest or soon to be the latest Windows Operating System versions have a feature where an entire folder can be password protected or encrypted and not just a file contained within it?????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 am

windows7/windows 8: same story, no change. still need something like truecrypt. oh and one of them is having a point: if you boot the system from whatever linux disk, the rights are not active so all is still visible anyway...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 am

evasive wrote:windows7/windows 8: same story, no change. still need something like truecrypt. oh and one of them is having a point: if you boot the system from whatever linux disk, the rights are not active so all is still visible anyway...

Will Windows 9 or what ever it's going to be called have a feature to protect an entire folder? Who is Microsoft catering to these days any way ??

I would think that a feature like what I am wanting should have already been included in previous Windows Operating Systems.....
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:28 am

Use the process called "sharing" on features, folders or files that you want to restrict access to. For a shared computer, set restrictions or permissions on folders or files as desired. A password would be required for access, unless the Administrator has "all rights".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 am

c327 wrote:
evasive wrote:windows7/windows 8: same story, no change. still need something like truecrypt. oh and one of them is having a point: if you boot the system from whatever linux disk, the rights are not active so all is still visible anyway...

Will Windows 9 or what ever it's going to be called have a feature to protect an entire folder? Who is Microsoft catering to these days any way ??

I would think that a feature like what I am wanting should have already been included in previous Windows Operating Systems.....

They are only interested in cell/mobile phone users...Have you seen Windows 8??? It's crap!!!
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Roach412 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 pm

windows 8 is essentially an improved windows 7...just with a new available "metro" option rather than the existing "standard" windows look.

8 is the next level of refinement that 7 has/had started. if you dislike 8 so much, i hope you're not using 7...

if you dislike "metro", then i (personally) will wait for judgement until i can use it on a touchscreen rather than w/ mouse and keyboard.

if i were to say just from looks alone, i think windows 8 looks like it could be absolutely awesome. they have very limited exposure to 3rd party options yet, so what you see is the absolute bare minimum that MS will toss in. there'll be so much investment in this in the next few years the sky literally is the limit to how you will most like be able to configure your windows 8 experience.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby MrG » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:58 am

Roach412, I really do think you've missed the point of Windows, not just Windows 8.

Yes, I am using Windows 7 and have been since it launched; it is by far the best version of Windows ever made.

Windows is a GUI driven OS and is dependent on keyboard and mouse. Windows 8 is a rebirth of the cell/mobile phone OS and does NOT belong on real computers. Windows 8 is only suitable for touch devices and is completely non-functional with keyboard and mouse. Furthermore, with the advent of the WinRT UI, and so-called "immersive" use, it is no longer possible to open more than one Window at a time, so Windows is now dead, and the new OS should have been called Window 8.

There are some nice new features in Windows 8, but they are all wasted by being hidden behind a totally unusable GUI.

I've been testing Windows 8 since the release of the Developer Preview a year ago, so I have had plenty of experience with it. Have you used it at all, or have you just read some hype? Any positive usage of Windows 8 is most likely from touch device usage, not real computers in the real world.

I really do hope Steven Sinofsky gets kicked out of M$ PDQ, because what he has created is nothing more than an abomination.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Roach412 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 am

MrG wrote:Roach412, I really do think you've missed the point of Windows, not just Windows 8.

i think you've missed the point of my post....and i'm pretty sure i have a handle on the "point" of windows.

MrG wrote:Windows 8 is only suitable for touch devices and is completely non-functional with keyboard and mouse.

really? you're actually going to say that? and then follow it up with:
MrG wrote:I've been testing Windows 8 since the release of the Developer Preview a year ago, so I have had plenty of experience with it.

i can only hope you don't actually provide user experience response back to MS...you don't even know how you CAN use windows 8. tricky learning curve? perhaps. non-function? laughable.

i'm an IT professional, and i'm actually working with windows 8 for work...so, yes i might have a little experience using it... :roll: want to get into an internet peen contest about it? i wouldn't care even if you've been part of the development team for MS, you still don't apparently know how to use Windows 8.

MrG wrote:I really do hope Steven Sinofsky gets kicked out of M$ PDQ, because what he has created is nothing more than an abomination.

such narrow vision, and lack of future-thought. IMO, your viewpoint is the kind that spawned WindowsME.
-Roach
EVGA GTX 660ti
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby MrG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 am

Roach412 wrote:want to get into an internet peen contest about it?
-Roach

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I'm an adult and I have better things to do.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Roach412 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:19 am

MrG wrote:
Roach412 wrote:want to get into an internet peen contest about it?
-Roach

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I'm an adult and I have better things to do.

i recommend learning more about the improvements within the OS, and lessening your focus on an interface. unless you have better things to do, of course.

interfaces can change. interfaces can be replaced outright. tools can improve interface integration with the user. creative users can come up with improvements, or third party utilities...etc

the core of my post (that you ignored) is that MS has worked extremely hard to unhook the UI from the kernel...that's a huge move forward. and exactly the reason why it's not worth bemoaning the UI...it won't be a "core" component to the OS as it MS progresses with that effort.

-Roach
EVGA GTX 660ti
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Next