BIOS Replacement

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS Replacement

Postby Bishop_2012 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi all. Am new here been readind some posts and find them very infomative and helpful. I request for your assistance as well:
My desk top running win Xp SP3 wont restart auto even during the intsllation itself. had to reset to complete loading the OS. All aspects under shut comp on task manager eg; standby are OK but RESTART sends system to hang the have to reset to get it running again. Some one suggests mulfunction of BIOS chip. Can this be replaced? and is it necessary to use newer version?
NB; M/B is Intel 845GV-M with AMIBIOS - PI.00 ( ver 3.3 date 2004)
Thanks will appreciate your responses. Bishop_2012
Bishop_2012
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 am

Sounds like that is an Asrock 845GV-M board:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/845GV-M/

First try replacing the coin cell battery (CR2032 3V lithium) with a brand new one. If it is low the bios chip might malfunction just enough to give this effect.

Next, check both your motherboard and the power supply for bad capacitors. See http://www.badcaps.net for more information.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 am

From the picture, the bios chip in the upper left corner can be replaced. My initial suspicion about the bad capacitors was right then, but was your power supply checked as well? And just 11 capacitors replaced on the board means not all the baddies have been taken out. If you have bulging caps, you need to replace each and every one of the same series/model/value...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS