Help me to locate bios chip

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help me to locate bios chip

Postby buddhi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:30 am

My laptop is hp dv4-1509tx and I got bios corrupted.. :oops:
part number of the motherboard: 576943-001

I bought a new bios chip from ebay and the problem is I don't know how to locate bios chip as there are lots of chips with 8 pins on the motherboard.. :(

I have attached links to photos of both sides of the motherboard.. :(

side A: http://www.4dh.freelk.asia/dv4-1509tx/Side-A.JPG

side B: http://www.4dh.freelk.asia/dv4-1509tx/Side-B.JPG

please help me to locate bios chip.. :-|
buddhi
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 am

From the looks of that board it has been soaked in seawater. I think it will catch fire the moment you put any power on it. Get a replacement board.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby buddhi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:20 am

evasive wrote:From the looks of that board it has been soaked in seawater. I think it will catch fire the moment you put any power on it. Get a replacement board.

:D Ya, It's horrible when you see the photo of it. It's not bad as the photo shows except my bad photography techniques...

Whatever, I have bought a new bios chip now and wanna give a try before replacing the board.. any idea about the location of bios chip?

thank you for the reply.. :)
buddhi
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 am

buddhi wrote:
evasive wrote:From the looks of that board it has been soaked in seawater. I think it will catch fire the moment you put any power on it. Get a replacement board.

:D Ya, It's horrible when you see the photo of it. It's not bad as the photo shows except my bad photography techniques...

Whatever, I have bought a new bios chip now and wanna give a try before replacing the board.. any idea about the location of bios chip?

First off, I am not sure how you bought a new bios chip, before finding your old one on the board. There are many many different chips out there. And they are not all compatible.

Second, most of this stuff was added to the motherboard from by a machine, not by hand. Its going to be difficult to remove the old one if your not really familiar with soldering.

That all being said, I can't really see the markings on the chips, but if I had to guess, I think its the upper left of SideB. The circle object there looks like a BIOS battery. The BIOS is probably one of the 8pin chips near it.
I'd throw some of the numbers on the chips into Google. It will probably come back with something indicating its a CMOS/BIOS chip.

Good luck
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Rather unusual for a BIOS chip to have only 8 connections or pins. Typically, there would be more than 20, perhaps 40 pins. The BIOS chip, if in a socket, is not difficult to replace.. if you have the "hooks" to lift it out. But if soldered to the board surface, not practical unless you have special tools.
If the BIOS is corrupt due to immersion in bad water, then no knowing what other damage is done to other chipsets. Best to get a replacement board!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby buddhi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Rather unusual for a BIOS chip to have only 8 connections or pins. Typically, there would be more than 20, perhaps 40 pins. The BIOS chip, if in a socket, is not difficult to replace.. if you have the "hooks" to lift it out. But if soldered to the board surface, not practical unless you have special tools.
If the BIOS is corrupt due to immersion in bad water, then no knowing what other damage is done to other chipsets. Best to get a replacement board!

Bios chip corrupted after trying to update bios. no any other reasons. So it's certain that the problem is with the bios chip...
I googled a lot and almost all the results said bios chip was a 8 pin chip..

Hardware Junkie wrote:First off, I am not sure how you bought a new bios chip, before finding your old one on the board. There are many many different chips out there. And they are not all compatible.

Second, most of this stuff was added to the motherboard from by a machine, not by hand. Its going to be difficult to remove the old one if your not really familiar with soldering.

The bios chip provider I dealt with sent me the chip after telling him the "part no" of the motherbord which is identical to each motherboard. No need to specify the current bios chip to buy a new one. providing the "part no" of motherboard is enough I think..

I know a technician who is good at soldering. He said he could solder it if I could locate the chip..

thanx a lot for replying.. :)

Please someone help to locate the bios chip.. :(
buddhi
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 am

buddhi wrote:

Looks for something marked similar to 25L8005M2C.

And the rusty connectors on the back tell me it's not just your photo techniques, the board really is in a bad shape...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby buddhi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:04 am

evasive wrote:Looks for something marked similar to 25L8005M2C.

And the rusty connectors on the back tell me it's not just your photo techniques, the board really is in a bad shape...

Hey, I found it. 25L8005M2C is on one of them and the seller of the new bios chip also provided the same info as you did to locate it.. Thank you a lot.. :)

ya, there are some rusty connectors.. but on the circuit the thing that looks like rusty is a sort of a gum.. There was a cover pasted to board and that was a result of removing it..

however I haven't been using this laptop for around a year.. I'll try.. wish me good luck.. PDT_Armataz_01_01

Thank you again and thank all of others who commented..
buddhi
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:26 pm

i want to see if this works...because that board looks awful.

:mb_popcorn::

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 512gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Sennheiser PC 350 Headset