QDI Superb 4X V2.0 BIOS update...

Moderator: The Mod Squad

QDI Superb 4X V2.0 BIOS update...

Postby Daredevil » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:06 am

Hello, i have this rather old motherboard QDI Superb 4X V2.0 (original BIOS 1.1 2003 i think)...i have been searching the Internet for a newer update that corrects a lot of problems and boosts performance, in vain...all i find is updates for motherboards with similar naming but not for the specific...if someone has this update or knows where to find it, please contact...Thanks in advance... PDT_Armataz_01_03
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:13 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Look in the lower left corner of the first video screen, for a string of characters. This is the BIOS date, version and model ID.
Hit the 'pause' button as soon as you see it, and it should freeze. Otherwise, create an error such as 'no keyboard found' to freeze that first image so you can copy the string. Post that string here, and a positive ID should link to finding a BIOS revision easily.
But also try this site.. http://www.motherboard.cz/driver/qdi.htm
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: QDI Superb 4X V2.0 BIOS update...

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 am

Daredevil wrote:Hello, i have this rather old motherboard QDI Superb 4X V2.0 (original BIOS 1.1 2003 i think)...i have been searching the Internet for a newer update that corrects a lot of problems and boosts performance, in vain...all i find is updates for motherboards with similar naming but not for the specific...if someone has this update or knows where to find it, please contact...Thanks in advance... PDT_Armataz_01_03

What is the reported fix-all version and what is it supposed to cure? Got a description somewhere? I may have something in the archives but without any specifics it will take too much time.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daredevil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:36 am

Hello, thanks for your replies...
unforunately i don't have a version number for the BIOS update. All i found is a reference to a forum post

http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/bbs_en...998&Forum_ID=2

that no longer exists...it says that multiplies 8 times the performance of the RAM...a possible version number would be 1.2b or something like that, which fixes IOQD issues (i found this on the Internet but this link is dead also)...
As for my BIOS string i copied it below from SiSoft Sandra...

SiSoftware Sandra

Mainboard
Manufacturer : Q7
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processing (MPS) Version : 1.40
Model : SiS-648
BIOS : 08/18/2003-SiS-648-6A7I0Q79C-00
Chipset : SiS 648/655

Performance Enhancing Tips
Warning 231 : IOQD is set too low. Performance will suffer.

I hope all these help..Thanks again..!
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 am

From a Google search on that BIOS string:
BIOS : 08/18/2003-SiS-648-6A7I0Q79C-00 Chipset : SiS 648/655
http://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/qdi.jsp
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am

1.2b would be 1.2 beta which is newer than your 1.1 version you have now. Ok, that's a start, I'll see what I can do...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daredevil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 am

Karlsweldt wrote:From a Google search on that BIOS string:
BIOS : 08/18/2003-SiS-648-6A7I0Q79C-00 Chipset : SiS 648/655
http://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/qdi.jsp

Sorry, but this link (and similar ones) point to services which you need to buy in order to update your computer drivers...there is no direct download link...
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 am

Here is another link I found..
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/qdi/Superb4.htm
Yes, many sites that offer chipset drivers want to sell a product.. first.. then offer "free" downloads of what you really wanted!
And here is the direct link to SiS driver downloads.. free. http://w3.sis.com/download/ Just enter what OS type and other factors, you should get the needed drivers. The SiS 648/655 chipsets were used in several brands. Perhaps another brand's drivers would work, but may not be 100% compatible.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 am

1) I'll have to check my offline archive to see if I happen to backup the 1.2b version of his bios.
2) I have to see if anything can be improved in that beta version with the publicly available patch utilities
3) I'll have to make an upload to somewhere and have it tested by the original poster
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daredevil » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 am

evasive wrote:1) I'll have to check my offline archive to see if I happen to backup the 1.2b version of his bios.
2) I have to see if anything can be improved in that beta version with the publicly available patch utilities
3) I'll have to make an upload to somewhere and have it tested by the original poster

OK, after a while i have found a file that i think that corresponds ... here

http://qdi.mercuryserver.de/bios/index.php

in the search you can type "Superb" and i chose to download the file:

"2004-08-21 S4X slow performance with short IOQD BetaBIOS s4x2v12b-fix ioqd.bin"

which i think that corresponds to my motherboard. I have flashed the BIOS with this file and i believe that my system is a lot quicker. However the computer is rebooting in random time intervals, i mean even when i am just surfing on the internet. I have backed up my initial BIOS using the flash utility ...

Are you able to check if this file needs improvement as it you say or can you tell which utilities to use in order to do so? Do you need me to upload the original BIOS ? For example, if the reason the system has become unstable is the IOQD (which is now 12), maybe we can turn it to 4 or 8 ?
Again thanks for your help...
Daredevil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS