Slow DSL ??

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Slow DSL ??

Postby c327 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm

I questioned this issue in the past and tried different things but the issue still presents itself.

This is an XP Pro P-4 quality built Intel PC that is connected to a Net Gear DSL modem/router via Ethernet cable. This PC although old by most standards still is real good and reasonably quick when used off line.

I did a speed test (Speakeasy) at 1:00 in the morning and it shows a download speed of 9.7 Mbps but when I am on some websites and I click to turn the page, the page changes but then freezes for about 10 seconds before it frees up and I can use it again.

I see that some folks aren't that crazy about Net Gear ?? I ran all kinds of PC checks and no nasties are showing up. I run a selective start-up and for the most part as far as I know this PC is clean.

Just stumped as to why this freezes (on line only) up and takes so long for website pages to fully load when I have a good download speed??????

I will plug my lappy in and see if there is a difference.......
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” It can take a lifetime to earn it and a second to lose it. "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 am

Some routers come with a power brick that has bad capacitors in it. It will show by giving fantastic connectivety but slowing down to cr*p speeds when doing anything useful e.g. transfer data. Yes please, check with the laptop to possibly exclude the router being the culprit.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am

evasive wrote:Some routers come with a power brick that has bad capacitors in it. It will show by giving fantastic connectivety but slowing down to cr*p speeds when doing anything useful e.g. transfer data. Yes please, check with the laptop to possibly exclude the router being the culprit.

I don't have a stand alone DSL modem in order to eliminate the router as the problem. Did connect the laptop directly to the router and it looks maybe a little bit better but still lagging speed wise considering I am showing a good download DSL speed.

I know your not a fan of NetGear anything if I remember correctly but I was wondering since this model router is 802:11 abgn and my desktop D875PBZ Intel mobo has on board Ethernet but not N rated I was thinking the on board Ethernet might be tired (8 years old) or has a conflict with the N router ?

Seeing that there was no drastic speed difference as to page loading times etc I am leaning towards a router issue.

I don't remember if I have an vacant PCI slots for an Ethernet card but I guess I could probably use a USB something.....
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” It can take a lifetime to earn it and a second to lose it. "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm

802.11n is a wireless standard. your board has a wired ethernet connection.

rendering speed of webpages being different from your download speed to me sounds more like a fragmented/slow harddrive/slow graphics card or not enough processing power. Apart from the usual suspects like old java plugins, old flash, malware whatever...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:11 am

Could also be a fault with your anti-virus and Firewall program. Many brands have a "screen-scan" mode that reads the data before you see it.. to avert any hacker or viral threats. Some versions are more delay-prone. Not advisable to defeat such features!
And don't forget about traffic loading on some sites. The servers may not have the handles for a lot of clients.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Could also be a fault with your anti-virus and Firewall program. Many brands have a "screen-scan" mode that reads the data before you see it.. to avert any hacker or viral threats. Some versions are more delay-prone. Not advisable to defeat such features!
And don't forget about traffic loading on some sites. The servers may not have the handles for a lot of clients.

Hmmm, never thought of that??? :idea:

Using AVG (free) Malwarebytes (free) CCleaner (free) Spyware Blaster (free) Super Anti Spyware (free) Windows Firewall (free) and a Netgear combo DSL modem/router.

I know, I know Netgear is not that great so I read here, but my early Sager lappy (Compal JHL 90) 802.11n draft is very picky with other brand modem/routers and of the routers I have tried Netgear is the only one I found that works. I mean with the others I couldn't even connect to my own network :o and that is how I ended up with Netgear.

Don't think its a traffic issue since this happens all the time even at ungodly hours early in the morning like right now.

What ever it is, is internet related.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 am

Using AVG (free) Malwarebytes (free) CCleaner (free) Spyware Blaster (free) Super Anti Spyware (free) Windows Firewall (free) and a Netgear combo DSL modem/router.

Having all those "watchdog" programs active could indeed be a cause. Try running with just the AVG program active, and check line speed. The AVG program should have all the features needed, and not replicated by other programs. Yes, having more security than needed is a good idea.. but after the "gauntlet" of security checks, data can be slowed drastically! Having two active firewall programs will definitely slow data rates!
Netgear devices may not be the best, but they do the job. Have had a Netgear FS105 10/100 5-port hub in use for more than 6 years.. and never a problem!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking