Where Did Everybody Go ????

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby sloopdog 1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Well,I too have been gone for quite a while.My life has changed forever,my wife of 40 years passed away in July of this year.Cancer took her,but she fought the brave fight.
She is not suffering now.
I know I must learn to accept things as they are, but it is difficult.I have support from friends and relatives,that is some help.
Anyway,I'm posting this from my new Toshiba laptop.Should have got one of these long ago.Wireless too.
My main desktop pc crashed,died,went fubar,whatever you want to call it, so I splurged and got this.Need to get some backup now,any suggestions?
No keyboard detected-Press any key to continue.
sloopdog 1
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am

currently I am going through a new phase in life being newly wed in dec 2010 and finally brave enough to organize my house/moving house/personal life/marriage and let go of things and people that have no real use for me...

@snakebite66: welcome to the club, been there, done that in '07 take your time to get everything in order (the paperwork) go out on a vacation to somewhere you never been before, crash down/burnout and then start thinking on what you want to do with your new life. If you need more pointers, let me know :)

@sloopdog_1:
my sincere commiserations. if backup for your personal situation, PM me. I do not have the experience myself but I know people that did go through the process of loosing a life-long partner...

if backup from the original system/disk, get an external disk connection cable such as this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119152

if backup from the laptop to another place, external disks come in all sizes and shapes. Stay away from the WD Passport with plastic casings as i have found out these are not shockproof whatsoever. 10 inch drop is enough to fubar them.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby profofpcs » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 pm

been in and out myself. still addicted to WoW, i blame HWJ and Blackwolf. They owe me 6 years of my life...........waiting for payment, and i don't take canadian monopoly money. :D

depression is just anger without the enthusiasm
anger is just danger without the "d"
profofpcs
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm

profofpcs wrote:been in and out myself. still addicted to WoW, i blame HWJ and Blackwolf. They owe me 6 years of my life...........waiting for payment, and i don't take canadian monopoly money. :D

Implying canadian regular money is any different?
:axe:
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:13 am

A Canadian dollar was worth much more, a few years back, than a US dollar. By the latest rates (21 Sept. 2012), the Canadian dollar was worth only $0.9752 to the US dollar. But in this time of world financial woes, most currency world-wide has fallen to historically low value equivalencies.
But "monopoly money" has only 'virtual' value! :-|
Now, on the other side of value... precious metal, such as gold, is currently around $1,800.00 US dollar value per ounce!!!!
A recent death in Nevada of a lone elder fellow yielded a surprising turn when a retailer started to clean out the shack.. nearly $7 million in hoarded gold!!! PDT_Armataz_01_03
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:49 pm

@Sloopdog: if you need to talk, pm me and I can give you my phone #.

I'm still lurking, just been up to my eyeballs in homework for college. Try learing quantitative reasoning when you've not had a math class since 1986......
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Hello

Postby chris754 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 pm

I think this site is due in part to me getting my dream job-what I learned about computers has led me to a great role in ICANN. So I dont visit often now, but I am grateful for the shared learning
chris754
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:47 am

fussnfeathers wrote: Try learing quantitative reasoning when you've not had a math class since 1986......

Quantitative reasoning is an intense subject field! Knowing all the aspects of math is critical to solving equations.
While math has evolved some "new" theories and processes, the old "standards" still prevail! And sometimes you have to turn off the modern theories in favor of older ones. Fractional multiplication is one of the most intense realms of math. But once a common denominator is found, the process becomes easier!
Now.. try programming a multi-function CATV/TV/SATV/DVR remote!!! Image
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jronald » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Im here, lurking for many, many months. Sort of got hooked on IBM laptops. Refurbing and donating everyone I can get my hands on.

Thinkpadsforum.com has most of my attention.

Ron
My son carries in his childhood, the wonders I have sought my lifetime to find, and squandered fortunes to posses
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby AmEv » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 pm

No, I'm not dead. It's that, after high school graduation, I've been trying to look for a job.

Got myself a Toshiba Thrive. Other than the crackpy glass, I love the thing.

Why haven't I posted here much? Case mod forums, and Thrive development have got me hooked.

Still thank you guys for really getting my tech life started. Second to my helpful parents.

I'm as much as an Ubuntu fan as I was in '09. Although, I added a K to the beginning when Unity came out.
PS: I'm working on native Ubuntu for the Thrive.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler