Windows 7 "the network connection does not exist"

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 7 "the network connection does not exist"

Postby meppwc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 am

I have a network mapping that I cannot get rid of on my Windows 7 machine.
The server that this mapping is associated with no longer exists on the network.
I have tried right clicking and selecting disconnect, but it returns an error "The network connection does not exist"
I was told to find it in the registry and remove it but that drive mapping is not there
I was told to drop to the command prompt and use "net use" to disconnect the drive but it returns the message that the network connection does not exist.

How else can I get rid of this invalid drive mapping?
Antec 900 - 650W ATX
Intel DQ35JOE
Intel Core 2 DUO Q6600 Quad Core 4gb
2gb 800mhz DDR2 DIMM
500gb SATA 7200rpm
Alpha Dog gForce FX 8800 512 pci
XP Pro SP2
meppwc
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Try this:

Had a bunch of former drives showing up so I attacked them in the registry. Open regedit to
HKLM
SYSTEM
services
LanmanServer
Shares
The keys for the former drives are there. Delete the ones that don't
exist and they won't show up on the network anymore.

Also try CrapCleaner.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby meppwc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:18 pm

cannot find the path you refer to in the registry
I have
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
Antec 900 - 650W ATX
Intel DQ35JOE
Intel Core 2 DUO Q6600 Quad Core 4gb
2gb 800mhz DDR2 DIMM
500gb SATA 7200rpm
Alpha Dog gForce FX 8800 512 pci
XP Pro SP2
meppwc
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 pm

"HKLM" is for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Open that folder, by clicking on the [+] box. Then go down to "SYSTEM" and open that folder.. then the rest of the process. If uncertain of how to edit the Registry, make a backup copy first.. for security! Improper entries or deletions can cause an OS to fail.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby speedmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm having the same problem, got to the HKLM, System, services, lanmanager and finally shares and there is nothing listed there...and I have a drive mapped in explorer with a red x and a drive assigned to it...can't find it anywhere in the registry..by the letter or by the mapping name...crazy stuff... where else should I look for it?

Cheers

Speed

Quote:
Had a bunch of former drives showing up so I attacked them in the registry. Open regedit to
HKLM
SYSTEM
services
LanmanServer
Shares
The keys for the former drives are there. Delete the ones that don't
exist and they won't show up on the network anymore.
speedmaster
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby speedmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Never mind...find the "idiot" solution...after looking through the register and group polices for a way to remove that red X and old mapping with no avail I decided to do the simplest thing... mapped the drive to an existing share... and it worked... I've then disconnect the drive and voilá... no more ghost mapping in my windows explorer....

Sometimes playing dumb solves the most complicated cases.... I don't have a clue where that ghost mapped drive was stored but it is now "really" dead.

Cheers
speedmaster
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 am

Many users forget to "safely remove" an external storage device before shutting down the OS (DON'T ASK!! :oops: ).. and then we remove it! On the next start up, the OS cannot find that drive.. and a 'ghost' drive can haunt you.
Any type of external hard drive, camera or flash memory association should be "removed" when done with it, prior to shutting down of the OS. Any folders or files that were opened prior to the shut down will remain in a search criteria at the next start up, otherwise. Similar too with any associated Intranet path. Shut down the 'guest' or 'visitor' source before the primary host is shut down.. or phantom folders and files may be flagged.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems