power switch on Asus P5AD2 Deluxe

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

power switch on Asus P5AD2 Deluxe

Postby jozippy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm

I finally got around to getting this computer back up. I replaced the Antec with a Corsair TX-750, formatted the disks, set up RAID 1 the Intel Application Accelerator RAID BIOS. Loaded XP SP3 with the proper RAID drivers. Everything working great, loading applications.

Then on boot up, it shut itself down. I pushed the power button-nothing. I got to the power switch, it looked and felt ok. It didnt turn on the machine. I removed the AC cord and checked the switch connection at the motherboard-ok. I reconnected the AC, pushed the power button and one of the chassis fans spun for about 5 seconds, nothing else. It did that a couple times. I removed the power switch connector from the board and shorted the 2 pins - nothing. After reconnecting that, I pushed the power button and it started. Then I got this message:
Overclocking Failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
Press F1 to Run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue

Nothing is overclocked. I hit F2, it shut down, tried all of the above again - it wont start. The board is getting power - green motherboard LED on. I spent a lot of time getting it to work after the PSU failure, WTF went wrong??
jozippy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 am

No idea, all fans spinning, made sure the heatsink on your CPU is properly mounted and did a recheck for bad capacitors on your motherboard? What are the markings on those?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jozippy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 am

No fans are spinning, it wont start. One of the chassis fans spin for a couple of seconds when I turn on the power switch. I dont see any blown caps. I removed the heat sink cleaned and pasted it and put it back on. No change.
jozippy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:38 am

Something may be loading the PSU beyond its limits. May be a bit of stray hardware under the board, or a component that has failed.. possibly a capacitor! Look over all the caps on the board.. if any have domed tops, lean excessively or show leakage, you have found the cause. More info at www.badcaps.net/ .
And in the first POST steps, memory and CPU type are referenced to data in the CMOS registry. If a miss-match, then the POST process would shut down. But if you had mostly completed the setup process, and now it won't come back to life, I would look elsewhere.. at memory type. From the CPU compatibility chart for that model, check that the CPU is indeed rated at 533 Mhz FSB. Most likely, the CPU is rated for an 800 MHz FSB.. and memory type!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jozippy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Been using the same memory and CPU on that board for a long time. As to set up, machine and OS were up and functioning before this happened.

From http://www.capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherboard-capacitors-howto/index.htm:
If you are given a board to troubleshoot which does not POST, it just blinks the led on the board and the fan twitches, you must be careful that the board is not in a condition which will damage the CPU that you use to test the board.

The LED stays on but a chassis fan and sometimes the PSU fan "twitch". Sounds like there is a possibility that the CPU could be fried now.

I see 5 suspect capacitors. On 2, the tops are oh so teensy bit convex. Same for the other 3 but under hi magnification, there is a tiny amount of a light brown substance being secreted from between the 2 sides of a score line. The bases of all 5 show nothing. This board is not the P5AD2-E (925xe chipset), its the P5AD2 (925x chipset). These 5 capacitors look like the 3 between Dimm A2 and Dimm B1 in the photo of the board, if that is useful. I dont know squat about capacitors. I dont know where to get a cap kit for this board and more important, trying to replace capacitors on this motherboard may severely tax my emotional stability. I think the choice is a used board or retire it. Built in 2005. I'll give you a deal on a low mileage TX-750. ](*,)
jozippy
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 am

there is a tiny amount of a light brown substance being secreted from between the 2 sides of a score line

:o bingo.

There's no kit listed yet:
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=21

But you can make a list of what is in there and send it in.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 am

Indeed, some of those caps are bad!! They must be replaced with identical voltage and Microfarad values. And be rated 105°C temperature. For coupling circuits, you cannot substitute values.. but for filter circuits, a higher Microfarad value is acceptable.. but never lower.
Make a list of the caps you need.. not just the bad ones.. an entire set of the same type.. and submit to www.badcaps.net/ for an order. But there are offers on eBay for capacitor sets at good prices. Replacing just the ones that appear bad may mean a second stint to replace the others that will go bad soon!
Replacement is not all that difficult, but you need decent soldering skills.. and an iron or gun that has minimal 100 watt power. And some soldering wick.
You want to "get in and get out" with the heat, to avoid damage to nearby components. Use only rosin-core solder for electrical circuits.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support