sy-7vca2 2aa1 bios update

Moderator: The Mod Squad

sy-7vca2 2aa1 bios update

Postby gordo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 am

Hello.
Couldn´t find SY-7vca2 2aa1 bios update in the site list and soyo does no longer exist so I can´t ask them for it. Is there any way to get it from anywhere else? Think that I need to update because my PentiumIII 700 can´t start Windows installed in big hard drives (got 2 80Gb and 160Gb Hd´s that work fine in other compueters but not in this PIII). The computer detect them but can´t start Windows because of this error "error loading operating system" so I think it could be de Bios.
Thanks in advance.
gordo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mark H » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 am

Are you using drives from a different working computer? If so, Windows will not work with a different motherboard/chipset. A clean fresh install is about the only way.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gordo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:05 am

Have already tried many different new fresh installations but the error remains, in fact I´ve tried almost everything but updating the bios cause I can´t get it. The hard drives work fine in other computers.
gordo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Depending on the BIOS date of the system, you should be able to use larger hard drives.. as long as the primary partition is within the BIOS limits. Set a primary partition of about 30 gigs, then use the extended partition setup to create a secondary ("D") drive using the remainder of the drive capacity.. or add extra drives as required. Then the OS install should go with no hassle. Windows 2000/XP has no problem with NTFS drive partition capacities over 200 GB, but Win 98 can manage only a 32 GB primary partition if FAT32.
Win 98 is still a useful OS version, but has been officially abandoned.. along with Windows 2000. Windows XP still is active, with an extended service life until 2014.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gordo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello Karl.
Also tried that but didn´t work.
Thanks.
gordo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:51 am

What is the BIOS date of this board? Look in the bottom left corner of the first video image.. there is a string of characters that denote the model and "conception" date.
Found two sites with Soyo BIOS updates.. your model is listed at WIMSBIOS.. http://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/soyo.jsp .. but no date of the version. And also at http://www.downloadplex.com/Drivers/BIO ... 0-0-0.html is a listing for a near-identical model.
The BIOS must be specific to a model, or certain features may not respond.
With some older BIOS types, there may be a choice as to how the drive is noted.. "normal", "large" or "LBA" method. For any drive larger than 20 gigs, use the "LBA" method. If the drive is not seen by the BIOS, then divide the cylinder count by four, and multiply the head count by four. Do not change the sector value.
Have had success with older BIOS dates of 2001 or so accepting 60 GB drives, as long as the primary partition is within the BIOS limits of recognition. But regardless, the statistics should be noted in the splash screen, even if the drive is not accessible for use. Set the BIOS pages concerning the IDE drive specs for 'all active' and enable the enhancements. As to connections, if using an 80-wire ribbon, ensure the master connector is used only with a drive with jumpers set as master. The lone connector is for the mobo header (typically blue), the far end is the master connector (typically black).. and the one closest to that is the slave connector. Connecting otherwise will not work.
If the drive stats are shown, then access should be good. But if the stats are not shown, then there may be a hardware failure (chipset or data ribbon, bent pins) that is causing the problem.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gordo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks Karl for the info.
The bios date is from 2000. Had already checked those sites but as I don´t have credit card is imposible form me to get them... is there any free site?
The bios detect perfectly the drives and the connections and cables are Ok.
gordo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mark H » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Try Softpedia

Or Here

As Karl noted, verify your model is supported.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:41 am

One factor I forgot to mention.. if those drives were set up on another machine with a different BIOS type, then access may be a problem! You may need to delete any existing partitions from the drives, before you have access. The MBR (master boot record) may describe the media different from what the active BIOS looks for.
You may want to try setting up the drives using a 'service' disk with Win 98 commands on it.. partitioning, but no format.. and you can get any form of boot disk files from www.bootdisk.com/ for gratis.
The floppy disk must be formatted in FAT12 style, the default for DOS.
You will need the following file commands:
Autoexec.bat reading as follows:
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH=A:\;
config.sys reading as follows:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE /NOEMS
FILES=80
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Drvspace.bin
command.com
MSDos.sys
fdisk.exe
Emm386.exe
himem.sys

These are the basic commands needed to access a hard drive outside of the OS being active. Older BIOS types did not have the ability to work with the "autorun.ini" file found on most newer program CDs. You may need to add a driver for the optical drive, so it can be accessed from the BASIC operation field.
For that, modify the boot disk files..
For the autoexec.bat file, as follows:
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH=A:\;
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V

For the config.sys file, as follows:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE /NOEMS
FILES=80
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

And add the files
Mscdex.exe
Oakcdrom.sys or similar optical drive file that can load into high memory.
Good luck!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gordo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks Mark but those sites are linked to Soyo that no longer exist.
Karl before following your last advice I tried the jumpers again in many configurations and this time luckilly worked the intallation of Windows... I´m not sure but think that the CD readder´s jumpers were the problem in fact.
Thank you very much for the time!
gordo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to BIOS