USB 3 thumb drive + bootcamp windows?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

USB 3 thumb drive + bootcamp windows?

Postby pit5000 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey guys, I'm getting a new Macbook Pro Retina and want to have a windows OS too. The machine however comes with limited storage so I was wondering if the Kingston HyperX USB 3 thumb drive is good enough for a full windows bootcamp installation.

USB 3 is 5gbs which is already faster than SATA II, but is the flash controller on a USB thumb drive any good for the constant back and forth read/write a boot drive needs? Some people tell me no...

The reason I want the USB 3 boot drive stick is that I can simple carry that around, plug into a similar Mac and have my full windows install anywhere I can find a new Mac. If it's not going to work, I might just use my Seagate STAE104 + Crucial M4 SSD... but I dont want to carry around the adapter AND an SSD AND a container for them.
pit5000
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:22 pm

There's a tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvWGV9YJxfQ

But no warranties as I didn't have the time yet to check it.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems