Left behind

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Left behind

Postby cw4cam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 pm

I built my last computer about 4 years ago. I thought I was whizzin with an Asus M2N-SLI deluxe mb. This was my third build. I probably will die in this one. My problem is how do you keep up with the latest stuff out? I know you have to read but it seems like the folks here giving the answers to all the questions asked here are old folks like me but they are up to date. I never started out with computers really seriously with computers (building) until I retired in 2K. Once I built this last box, I find it difficult to keep up with the latest innovations in mother boards, ram, vga cards etc.
It seems to me that if you are going to build a new rig, you may have to re
search for months to find out what is going on in the computer world today.
I see here on the board where folks post, wanting to know what they need to build a good gaming computer.. There is always good advice given. It amazes me how the old hands here on MB keeps up with the latest.
I am 74, I would love to keep up. It may not do me or anyone else any good but I sure would like to think I could contribute!!! I spent a lifetime repairing electronic gadgets and I never see any down on the board questions asked. Some times the answer is "bad caps".
Is there any thing left that can be fixed by the technically oriented other than bad caps????
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 am

I have been active in the computer field for more than 20 years.. and have seen many changes. Back when features were not integrated into "large" chipsets, there were many components on the motherboard.. and the board was assembled by hand! Before leaving the assembly line, each was tested to ensure it worked. If not, a tech had to spend possibly hours repairing it. That is why there may have been several small wires soldered here and there! Today's motherboards are not as expensive, due to automated assembly, and have many features integrated into several large chipsets. But not much is serviceable as with older boards. Yes, capacitors can be changed.. without much difficulty. But not so with chipsets, unless expensive tools are had. More practical to just recycle the board and replace it. Labor costs are the highest factor with any product, today! Power regulators must be a specific type, and may be soldered to the board surface. Sockets for memory and the CPU are a real nightmare to replace!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 pm

This just the ongoing process in society of replace/reject rather than refurbish/repair. It can be seen in many fields, not just the computer industry. But yes, it looks like the capacitor trick and the power components are the last bits that can be repaired. And there's always the metal work/cooling stuff that you can repair/upgrade/tinker with...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:01 am

Older-style motherboards had a battery at the back side, and when it started to get "hairy" that was a prominent sign it must be replaced (unsoldered!).. or leaking caustic fluids would etch away the traces by it! Some times you were lucky, and caught the damage early.. and could repair the traces with a kit intended for rear-window defroster grids. Not a problem today, thanks to the nearly industry-wide adoption of the Lithium-Ion coin cell battery.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 pm

I think it's only worth "keeping up with" if it is part of your job or it is really a passion for you. Otherwise, it takes way too much time.

When I go for a new build, I do a ton of research for a few weeks to make sure I get up to date with the latest stuff and get the most bang for my buck. After that, I don't even bother keeping up with even the next wave of products. It just isn't worth it to me since I have no use for knowing it other than for my own builds.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:54 am

An old adage.. "today's roast beef is tomorrow's hash" applies to almost any product field too! What is 'new' today is 'old hat' tomorrow! And buy some items at a store today, because you need them.. and tomorrow there is a 50% off sale on the same items!!! :twisted: Image
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Now Microsoft have been the whole thing much easier. No need for computers anymore, all you need now is a phone and Windows 8.

I've been using Windows 8 since the Developer preview launched in September 2011, and it's a total and utter big bag of sh1t.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Yes electronics can be fixed to component level, you just need the tools, ie an expensive heat bed for removing, reballing or reflowing chips.. An infra red heat gun is a must over a soldering iron as it won't damage the PCB and surrounding components.. Expensive tools, but stuff can still be repaired... The only big downside is the economics of it - its hell of a lot cheaper to chuck away and buy new(maybe not on the environment though)...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler