DSL Speed

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DSL Speed

Postby c327 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 am

This concerns 2 PC's both running XP Pro SP3. The Desktop is connected to a Netgear combo modem/router 802.11n. via hard wire.

PC # 1 Custom built Desktop connected to DSL Modem/Router

Intel P4
3.2 GHz Ram
2 GB dual Channel Ram
Speed Test Results - 7.64 Mbps & 0.74Mbps (paying for 10 Mbps service)

PC #2 SagerLaptop connected to my network via wi-fi

Intel Centrino2 Core2 Duo
T9600 @ 2.80 GHz
2.99 GHz Ram
802.11n draft
Speed Test Results - 3.29 Mbps & 0.73 Mbps (laptop is only 3 feet from the router)

My questions are:

1) Whay are the speeds between the two computers so different?

2) Am I better off, will I see better speeds with a separate modem and a separate router on the desktop? Should I can the combo modem/router ?

3) Why am I not getting closer to the 10 Mbps that I am paying for?

I tried Linsky routers but my lappy does not work well with one.

Thanks.All
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 23, 2012 9:51 am

Using the same firewall/anti-virus programs on both? Some firewall programs are more active than others.. filtering every bit of data instead of 'sampling'. And if running two firewall programs at the same time, data speed will slow. Only one firewall system should be active.
You note both units have the same standards rating for 802.11n, but one system is hard-wired and the other wireless? That in itself would explain the speed difference. Wireless data has to be transitioned from one data form to another and then back. For each packet of data sent, a return packet is sent to confirm or 'resend'. Wireless will never match the speed of hard-wired connections.
As to not seeing the maximum data speed from your provider, how far are you from their HQ or 'head end'? Mileage can degrade signal on data feeds. Then too, traffic volume will affect data speeds.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 pm

with dsl, i typically had only 768 kb/s down (not even 1 mb), and i've only heard of 1.5 and 3 mb... never ten. i think you would have to be very close to the station to get that type of speed through twisted pair copper wire.

can you wire connect the laptop straight to the modem to see if you get better bandwidth? that would prove it is something with your wireless rig that is holding the laptop back, or not.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby c327 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:34 am

bdub wrote:with dsl, i typically had only 768 kb/s down (not even 1 mb), and i've only heard of 1.5 and 3 mb... never ten. i think you would have to be very close to the station to get that type of speed through twisted pair copper wire.

can you wire connect the laptop straight to the modem to see if you get better bandwidth? that would prove it is something with your wireless rig that is holding the laptop back, or not.

This is what I want to check next to rule out a defective modem/router combo.

I can't connect the PC directly to the modem because I don't have one. I am in the process of getting one though just to test the speed. Yes I am paying for 10Mbps service as part of a total package with my phone service. It works out cheaper that way for me.

My lappy wi-fi speed even though it's less than half of the wired desktop speed seems the same as the desktop's, so this is why I am questioning my network's hardware. I have had 1.75 and 3.0 speed service and it seems to have been just as fast or even faster than what I have now. I have noticed that websites that load a lot of graphics take a while to fully load where it never did that before.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby bdub » Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 am

c327 wrote:I can't connect the PC directly to the modem because I don't have one.

don't have one what? do you mean you have a modem/router combo that is wireless only with no lan port? you mentioned the desktop is connected via hardwire to the netgear combo... if you plug the laptop in its place, what speeds to you get?

are we talking dsl here, or fios?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm

One other question about the setup.. How do you have the links set up?
Normally, a modem or router is connected directly to the service provider's line.. then to the computers and Wireless unit. The DSL service is piggy-backed on the telephone line at an RF frequency, well above the voice frequency. A filter is required on each telephone device other than the modem so there is no excess loading of the RF signal. Even a TV decoder which has a telephone line connection requires that filter. A maximum of seven devices on a telephone line is desired, if all are the electronic-ring type. The older mechanical bell types max out at around 4 units. If a wireless unit is connected to a computer for service instead of directly to a modem/router, extra delays and slowness are inherent. The best PC connection is via LAN cables, and very little degradation of speed is noted even if multiple PCs are in use at the same time. Yes, use the USB port on a modem/router for the wireless head. Hopefully it is new enough to be USB 3 compliant.
Other services come via cable connection, not via telephone wires. This setup also requires a modem or router to separate the data signals from TV channels. But the data speed is typically much higher by default than DSL.. typically in the 10~30 meg range.
ADSL and VDSL speeds can reach upwards to 8 megs in speed.

One reason I did not mention previously about "slowness" is that a LAN port typically runs at 100 Mb/s rate, while the 802.11g standard tops out at around 72 Mb/s rate. But we all knew that, right?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:16 pm

bdub wrote:
c327 wrote:I can't connect the PC directly to the modem because I don't have one.

don't have one what? do you mean you have a modem/router combo that is wireless only with no lan port? you mentioned the desktop is connected via hardwire to the netgear combo... if you plug the laptop in its place, what speeds to you get?

are we talking dsl here, or fios?

DSL. I don't have a stand alone Modem. All I have is a Netgear combo Modem/Router. When I had my DSL installed I told the installer I didn't want a separate modem since I already had a new combo Modem/Router.

I want to rule out the Netgear combo modem/router as being the problem but have to wait until I have a separate modem. My DSL provider is sending me one.

The PC's connection status page shows a connection speed of 100 Mbps ??? How can this be since my speed test shows 9.81 Mbps down which should be real good? and close to what I am paying for. But why the 100 Mbps ??? beats me....

This is an area that I am not experienced in. Mega -bit (Mb) and Mega-byte (MB) are different. I don't remember if I am paying for 10 mega bits or 10 mega bytes? I hope it don't add up to be a salami sandwich :)

I am not sure if the router has any performance settings that I can make?

The latest speed test shows 9.81 Mbps down and 0.75 Mbps up. This should be real good I would think but the PC is loading pages kinda slow and is choppy as compared to when I had 1.75 & 3.0 service. Now this test was from New Jersey to Atlanta
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 am

server - their connection to the internet backbone - ISP connection to the backbone - ISP internal routing - ISP connection to your home - your modem/router - your LAN - your cabling - your network card - your motherboard/CPU/memory/harddisk - your OS - your network card driver - your browser

I am leaving out the server OS, server webserver software, antivirus, plugins, DDoS attacks, worldwide events that has everybody running to their PC to get the latest news and weather conditions but it shows you how many steps are in this process that can cause a page to load slowly... Good luck on finding the culprit...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am

The speed rating for a port is listed as maximum.. under ideal conditions. But interference from external sources or sharing of the same line will cause repeated data packet sends if they are not intact. Then you get slow data rates.
Yes, a bit confusing with the "mega-bit" and "mega-byte" letters.. but look for the capital or lower-case lettering. The "M" can be either, as it may start a sentence word. But no difference if capital or lower-case. With the 'bit" and "byte" references, the lower-case "b" refers to 'bits' and the capital "B" refers to 'bytes'. A 'byte' is 8 'bits' standard.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 pm

evasive wrote:server - their connection to the internet backbone - ISP connection to the backbone - ISP internal routing - ISP connection to your home - your modem/router - your LAN - your cabling - your network card - your motherboard/CPU/memory/harddisk - your OS - your network card driver - your browser

I am leaving out the server OS, server webserver software, antivirus, plugins, DDoS attacks, worldwide events that has everybody running to their PC to get the latest news and weather conditions but it shows you how many steps are in this process that can cause a page to load slowly... Good luck on finding the culprit...

OK, granted there can be many causes for conditions like I am experiancing,but......

Wouldn't the speed test that I posted be beyond all those possibles? I apparently don't have a problem with the actual speed of the service ? If I had an issue with some of the things you mention wouldn't it be reflected in the speed test ?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to Networking