"No Longer Supported.. Obsolete"?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

"No Longer Supported.. Obsolete"?

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 am

Got a bad omen pop-up the other day, concerning Firefox.
"Firefox no longer supports your operating system version, and you will be vulnerable to online attacks".
This was on my primary system, Windows 2000 Pro as the OS.

Likely any other PC user still working with Windows 2000 Pro will see this ominous note! A shame that some software companies decree an OS that is still viable as "obsolete"! This is like saying that your parents or grand parents are obsolete. A result of our "throw-away" society?
Looks like I will have to find another one or two 'new' issues of Win XP to keep my two older systems active. System # 3 does have XP Home as the OS. Guess I will have to transfer my two F@H processes to that system.
BAH! Image
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:19 am

couldn't you just continue that version of firefox anyway? I know the new versions are probably fixes for scumware but I have used one of the older versions for years, but I finally updated to the latest that came out just this week.
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 am

It is not a task one looks forward to, wiping out any OS install and going with a new or fresh install.. including other existing programming! Yes, you can upgrade to a newer OS version.. but there is a limit as to how involved you can get, before inherent conflicts arise. Sometimes you have to "pull the plug".
While Windows XP has been given an 'extension' of service life, it is not a lengthy one. But an upgrade to a newer OS version is much simpler than a total reinstall. Did manage to find an install CD of XP Pro (64-bit) which accepts a previous W2K setup. The XP Pro CD is listed as 'new' with the COA and other data.. less the consumer box.. for $55.00 USD. Should get it in a few days.. then the fun begins. Will have to DL the SP3 upgrade.. or order a copy from M$.
Never really cleaned out the original Win 98 install that became Windows 2000. Guess I will have to get busy with a fine-tooth comb, shovel and dust bin! Would free up about 2 gigs of disk space. :)
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 am

With the XP upgrade disk, you can format the drive and do a claen install, just have a win2k or 98se disc to hand as it will ask you for it during the install... Have you tried Opera? Just as good as FF and faster too, not as 'customizable though... And if you use the old systems for few things, why not try linux, like SUSE or Ubuntu.... (free)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 04, 2012 11:36 am

Progress update: Have installed Win XP Pro, plus SP2. Now having problems with AVG needing replacement! So far, have wasted about 4.5 hours on this upgrade. Hope it is not much longer. Have also zipped out the old Win 98SE install. Down to 2 gigs free space on "C". PDT_Armataz_01_02

Edit 05/05: After more than 10 hours for the "UGG-grade", now I am down to less than 1 gig of free space on "C". And that is after I cleaned out all the old W2K updates and other useless folders. Have to now get a larger (240gig) drive, I guess. Another nasty problem has arisen.. any older URL links now are linked to a print option, not to a Web site!!!
Hopefully, the two F@H work units will finish and submit without problems.. and I will then move the programs to system #3, which has a good, clean install of XP Home. Guess that #1 system needs another "reinstall!!
Oh, but wait.. whoever those air-head programmers were for the OS, there were clicks, clinks, pops, and other sounds I had to remove.. sounded like a pinball game whenever I clicked an object!!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm

oi oi oi... yes, in its default incarnation XP is supposed to have the WOW factor, bells and whistles and whatnot. Set the desktop appearance to windows 2000 classic (windows classic? forgot), all the graphics effects to None (except Cleartype), that will improve performace and give you a more familiar view.

BTW, why SP2 and not SP3? Licensing issues?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 am

The XP Pro install disk I purchased for the upgrade was dated 07/2004.. and did not have the included SP2. But I had the SP2 upgrade disk from the other XP Home install.. so that was no "biggie". But after that upgrade, went to the MS site and did an interim "update".. plus SP3 and more than 120 security fixes!! But the IE browser still is not updated to IE 8.
Yes, the "WOW" factor is very annoying to many people.. a shame the programmers for the OS like so many 'blings and whoopies' For pre-adults, maybe acceptable. But for the majority of users, can be more than an annoyance!! Don't they know how to add an "include this" option for all sounds? Likely some of them (most?) got their diplomas from cereal box tops!!!
Still not in desired operating form, but will tweak/tune it when I have the patience and time. Did loose two work units for F@H, but have transferred the programs to system #3 with new WU files. Hope they go through OK.
Had an inkling that the "upgrade" would not be a smooth process. May have to do a "repair" update on the system.. it will not accept my list of favorites and URLs. Yes, I did patch in the old favorites list to the D&S folder. But the 'start menu' is flubbed up somehow.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Did you activate the Favorites menu? It's somewhere in the advanced section if you right-click the start button under start menu... Not on by default.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am

The "favorites" menu is active.. and shows. But for some insane reason, any URL link is redirected to a print command!! But if I use Firefox browser, then type in the URL, no problem. :?
Have tried both the 'default' XP themes and the 'classic' themes.. no difference except for appearance and "show all".
Now having an update problem with the MS XML Core updates not registering.. plus the .NET framework updates faulting. May have to uninstall the .NET framework process and redo.. but I did not have the XML Core process installed! Will have to contact MS Tech Support and try to work this out.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue May 08, 2012 10:29 pm

You can either repair your URL file association manually:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177054?ln=en-us
or download the "URL File Association fix" from:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Either way, BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY before making changes.

There is an issue with some of the XML Core updates, yes:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

The .NET saga/complete mess is known all around. What updates do not install exactly?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler