Overclocking an Intel core i5-661 in a Asrock H55m-le

A place where the most common PC questions are already answered for you.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Overclocking an Intel core i5-661 in a Asrock H55m-le

Postby AznRice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello everyone. I just purchased an Asrock H55m-LE motherboard as a replacement for my system. However, after looking at the post by Benjamin Sun on how to overclock a 661 in a H55m-le, I would like to know how to do it. As I increased the clock in increments of 1, I got the BSOD when I reached 145 mhz. Why is that? Other people have mentioned that they can overclock to 4 GHZ or more stable. As Mr. Sun mentioned on his post, he can overclock to 3.93 GHZ stable. Can anyone give me steps to the BIOS to overclock this chip properly? Thank you.

The link to that post is:

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/mot ... 046_5.html
AznRice
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm

What is the brand/model of your memory sticks and your power supply? Both are important factors in a good overclock. You can see DDR3 1600 memory and a 1000W power supply were used for absolute stability and headroom for the overclock. For sure this is overkill but using a no-brand PSU and 1333 memory will limit you in your OC'ing abilities.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AznRice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention the PSU name, but thank you for the reply. My power supply is a Corsair Gaming Series 700W, and my memory sticks is a couple of crucial 1333 mhz memory sticks. I was able to overclock with an Intel DH55TC, but I had to RMA it due to a dead PCIe slot. The wattage is enough for a mainstream graphics card and a good CPU cooler.
AznRice
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to MBHW Q&A