The Mother Board
No anti-virus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Virus/Spyware/Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use any Antivirus program?
NO!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
OF COURSE!!!!
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

hollowmike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: No anti-virus Reply with quote

Hi there; is it normal not to use a Antivirus? I have been using PCs for a quite long time, and during the last 3 years or so, i haven't used any antivirus program, since all they did was slow down mi machine; besides, every time I have a problem with some kind of a trojan, i use express recovery from my Gigabyte motherboard, so the problem disappears; am I too confident or its not such a big deal, since ít's very unlikely to have my pc infected?

Most people tell me that I'm crazy and bla bla bla; I would like to hear your thoughts
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be a "depends" option.

i never used them in the past, but there's so many exploits on the web (even on "safe" sites) that it's nearly impossible to not get something at some point.

that being said...if you don't do anything that has to do with financials/important/sensitive data, then go for it. if you constantly sign into your banking/credit accounts and do a lot of purchases, then i wouldn't leave yourself completely unprotected. it's your identity, so you can choose to risk it if you want.

so - for my main/heavy lifting machine i use anti-virus/malware/etc. it's powerful enough that it doesn't really impact me.

for my boring laptop that i use to watch youtube and read news/etc...no.

-Roach
EVGA GTX 560ti FPB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
hollowmike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roach412 wrote:
there should be a "depends" option.
i never used them in the past, but there's so many exploits on the web (even on "safe" sites) that it's nearly impossible to not get something at some point.

that being said...if you don't do anything that has to do with financials/important/sensitive data, then go for it. if you constantly sign into your banking/credit accounts and do a lot of purchases, then i wouldn't leave yourself completely unprotected. it's your identity, so you can choose to risk it if you want.

so - for my main/heavy lifting machine i use anti-virus/malware/etc. it's powerful enough that it doesn't really impact me.

for my boring laptop that i use to watch youtube and read news/etc...no.
-Roach

well i DO look how much money i have on my credit card; and from times to times, i also buy games on Steam; anyway, i forgot to tell that almost once a month, i pass the Malwarebytes Antimalware software, and also CCleaner; i guess i should do it weekly now; think that is enough?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your bank/credit card company policy to see if they have a clause in the contract that says you are responsible for working on a safe computer. I think according to their rules, that means using anti-virus software. You are using sensitive information in there (your credit card details to login).

Are you safe? No, these days phishing websites are made professionally to look exactly like the real deal. Without some form of real-time check it's impossible to tell...

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hollowmike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evasive wrote:
Check your bank/credit card company policy to see if they have a clause in the contract that says you are responsible for working on a safe computer. I think according to their rules, that means using anti-virus software. You are using sensitive information in there (your credit card details to login).

Are you safe? No, these days phishing websites are made professionally to look exactly like the real deal. Without some form of real-time check it's impossible to tell...

I have WOT installed for Firefox; isn't it supposed to do that??
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the proliferation of identity theft and 'phishers' infesting Internet usage, it is prudent.. nay, mandated.. that an anti-virus and firewall program be in place!
If a hacker or malware purveyor gains control of your system, it can be used to proliferate that malware or virus.. and you are as liable for penalties as the originator!
Use of a computer on the Web without an anti-virus/firewall program is akin to walking naked in a mosquito-infested swamp!!
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollowmike wrote:

I have WOT installed for Firefox; isn't it supposed to do that??

No..Firefox is just another browser. It does NOT have a built-in antivirus or malware protection. You still need to run those prgrams no matter what browser you use.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amadnei
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me : use a anti-virus

I got stole my email adress, the person was using it to send spam email to people so my email got close.
And the password of my account on my bank account was changing, good thing is that he cant do anything since he need a code that change each week.

main point : you should REALLY get an anti-virus like avast!,kaspersky etc..
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it is a no brainer not use an Anti Virus utility since they can be had free.

Even if you don't go on line I would think that a PC may still be susceptible to a nasty of some sort just by installing a program that may have someting bad inbedded in it ??????
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c327 wrote:
Even if you don't go on line I would think that a PC may still be susceptible to a nasty of some sort just by installing a program that may have something bad embedded in it ??????

Indeed! My AVG recently found some 'possible unknown' viral signature in my BF1942 folder.. a game which I have never gotten use of due to lack of mouse inversion.. "Win32DH.****".
The eGames company has a bad rep with tracker cookies added to user systems. Even Creative Labs once was notorious about "registration" cookies being somewhat malicious.
But you still have to go on line to update your OS status, for any security updates or other registration needs.. or the OS will declare itself DOA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Virus/Spyware/Security All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: