The Mother Board
Windows 8!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> The Hundred Year War
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zooofer
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Windows 8! Reply with quote

Greetings all. I hope this is the proper section to post this. I need to tell somebody how I feel about this Window 8 buisness.

Windows XP was used for what, a decade. Wonderfull OS, but it had become dated. Microsoft had years to build a replacement, and what did thy come up with? I'll just refer to it as the"V" word. Nobody liked it. So Microsoft launched Widows 7 about 3 years after the "V" word. I like Windows 7, but I had a heck of a time trying to get old software and applications to run on 7 machines. So now everything is nice and stable. NO! Windows 8 launches in the fall. I still have the new OS smell on my newest pc. Operating systems are not like cars. There shouldn't be a new model rolling off the assembly line every other year. Perhaps, I just need to be educated on the wonders of Windows 8.

Thanks for reading.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong section, kinda, but who cares.

Personally, I'm taking a pass on Windows 8 until it's been out a year or so. Let the guinea pigs work out the bugs (although, i DID beta test Win 7). Looks too much like a Windows Phone for my tastes.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only in the past few years, but for more than a decade has there been a need for "new" products yearly! [ "Here is the latest and greatest"!! eye roll ] Dump the old, bring on the new!! Prior to the Windows OS with resident functions, the archaic DOS versions were 'new' every other year or less.. up to version 6.22.
Then we had three issues of Win 95, then Win 98, Win 98SE, Win ME (another "strange child" from M$!) and Win 2K, which was quite good. Then along comes Win XP, updated to the latest features and technology. Win Vista was another exasperation of strangeness!
As with most aspects of life, "patching the patches" will not always work.. and you have to start anew with a totally rewritten OS. The latest iteration of Windows is more favorable to keyless pads and tablets.. but still needs to be compatible with older computing devices and "pocket" computing devices.
With most programming, there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions, some combined. But trying to use a 32-bit only program with a 64-bit OS may cause the OS to combine operations, resulting in a corrupted process. There should be a 'compatibility' mode with 64-bit OS types so they can properly execute 32-bit commands.
Think ahead to the near future.. when we may have a 128-bit OS platform.. wot now?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just stick with 7 then.....that's what a ton of people did with XP and Vista. Don't think there will be a NEED to go to 8. It's not like 7 is being phased out.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter1801 wrote:
Why not just stick with 7 then.....that's what a ton of people did with XP and Vista. Don't think there will be a NEED to go to 8. It's not like 7 is being phased out.

Yet lol
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark H wrote:
hunter1801 wrote:

Yet lol

better stop buying anything related to technology or has a possibility of being obsoleted then! ....eye roll

XP is still heavily used and is over 10 years old...windows 7 is about to turn 3. even if you consider the time window that it's taken for the new version to more-or-less push out the previous version, windows 7 should have at least another 3-5 years of solid support.

not to mention the underpinnings of 8 is essentially 7...it's a "hip", "new" presentation of what's already on the market.

so, in summation, don't worry about it. use your windows 7 version until you actually need to upgrade.

-Roach
EVGA GTX 560ti FPB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the fact quite a few places are upgrading to windows 7 only now so they will be in time for the EOL of XP should be telling you something about the "need" to upgrade to 8...

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. There is currently no EOL for Windows 7, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Vista went away quickly simply because Bill Gates cringes at that disaster. lachen

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark H wrote:
hunter1801 wrote:

Yet lol

You can say that about any piece of technology......obviousely 7 will EVENTUALLY be outdated.

8 isn't outdated......yet
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

within the last year i've used windows 98...so...yeah, take that how you want. but, until there's no longer hardware that runs something, you'll find it being run.

-Roach
EVGA GTX 560ti FPB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> The Hundred Year War All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: