What Would Happen If The United States Went Bankrupt ?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What Would Happen If The United States Went Bankrupt ?

Postby c327 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:56 pm

This may be interesting?

Seeing as I have lived the American dream for quite a while (vintage 1941) I have been able see where I was and where I am now and can only guess what a bankruptcy will do to American's.

As the gravy train pulls into the train station I can see many folks wondering around with no place to go and no food to eat. I can see the value of the American dollar going to zero overnight (it's probably half way there already) I vision folks carrying guns if they are lucky enough to have any in order to protect what they have from their neighbors down the street. There will be mass riots in the streets and a total loss of law and order. People not knowing what to do or not being able to deal with the sudden hardships will take their lives probably mostly democrats :D (they were on the gravy train on the way to the promised land).

OK so whats your take on the deal ??????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” It can take a lifetime to earn it and a second to lose it. "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 am

Doubtful it will happen. There are contingency plans in place to prevent that.
Not only the United States, going bankrupt, but the entire economy of the world would be at stake! The American Dollar is a base of most economic standards.. and loss of that standard would create worse than a pandemic!
The Federal Reserve (which backs all American currency) has huge reserves of "hard" money.. gold, platinum and silver.. which ensures the value of paper and coin currency.
The true problem is the liberal spending of taxpayer dollars on worthless "pork barrel" projects that benefit a few, costing the majority dearly. Stop the frivolous, wanton spending bills, and see how fast the economy rebounds!!!
The 'Great Depression' time was before my being.. but there are still many seniors that lived through it. Violence was not a great problem, as poverty was wide-spread.. and there was really nothing to "acquire" from theft and violence. Those few citizens that did have secure finances did provide sustenance to the masses.. and were regarded as "saintly".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Actually, Karl, the value of all currency is based on the value of the Yen. If/when that crashes, so does most of the free world.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Doubtful it will happen. There are contingency plans in place to prevent that.
Not only the United States, going bankrupt, but the entire economy of the world would be at stake! The American Dollar is a base of most economic standards.. and loss of that standard would create worse than a pandemic!
The Federal Reserve (which backs all American currency) has huge reserves of "hard" money.. gold, platinum and silver.. which ensures the value of paper and coin currency.
The true problem is the liberal spending of taxpayer dollars on worthless "pork barrel" projects that benefit a few, costing the majority dearly. Stop the frivolous, wanton spending bills, and see how fast the economy rebounds!!!
The 'Great Depression' time was before my being.. but there are still many seniors that lived through it. Violence was not a great problem, as poverty was wide-spread.. and there was really nothing to "acquire" from theft and violence. Those few citizens that did have secure finances did provide sustenance to the masses.. and were regarded as "saintly".

I have read recently that the United States does not have all the gold or silver to back up all the money they have printed or minted?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” It can take a lifetime to earn it and a second to lose it. "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 am

fussnfeathers wrote:Actually, Karl, the value of all currency is based on the value of the Yen. If/when that crashes, so does most of the free world.

Not doubting that, but Japan has suffered a severe blow to its economy from the Tsunami.. shutting down much of its industry. May take years to recover fully.
While one profile lists Japan as having the most stable economy, another lists Japan as only #10 in world gold reserves.
Gold is still the favored standard for cash reserves. When its price goes up, the dollar value of a country may do so also.
US Dollar and other major currency chart:
At present, Greece is on the verge of bankruptcy.. and several financial deals are in review to salvage their economy.
No one country on Earth can claim true "solvency" at this time! If one country were to declare total bankruptcy, it would affect all other countries.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 pm

No doubt. We're all tied to each other in a massive lend/borrow/give away marathon, and it ain't going to end soon (blame Reaganomics for that one).
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 am

We never had Reagan over here and still are in the same tredmill. It's called capitalism...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Instead of Reganomics or capitalism, what we need is some good old COMMUNISM like the soviets had some time back. We would all be paid the same and all have the same kind of stuff. Maybe we could come up with an automobile every one could own like the Zil or Trebant. Our money could be valued at 10% higher than the most valued currency in the world.
Or maybe this wouldn't work?? :roll:
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby bdub » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 pm

so you rather to be trickled upon? that is the rights intention, to have the rich hold their member out and reign down on the peons out of the "goodness" of their hearts. oh, blessed are the rich.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:33 pm

you must have rich and poor, lazy and driven. if there's no division between what people want, and what people have then there's no motivation to do anything better than anyone's worst.

sure people villify rich people, some of them truly deserve it. some, are just way more motivated and talented. if they had no incentive (being filthy rich) then would you think they would take the risks they did, and worked as hard as they did to do what they accomplished? yeah, didn't think so.

yeah, it sucks people are rich and are d**ks about it, but saying everyone should be treated the same and given all the same is simply a gross oversimplification.

i believe in incentivization, rather than punishment. when my state passed a smoking ban i was actually against it - i wanted them to provide benefits to adopters and people willing to do something different/better for others. rather, now we just punish people for running their business and lives their own way. without incentives, everything is essentially a punishment. think of work - if you didn't get paid for your efforts, what's the difference between that and prison labor? you get free food and housing, but it's identical across the board, that guy that does nothing gets the same as somebody busting their butt. screw that. i'll work harder than somebody else and would expect more freedoms or benefits for doing so. such is some people's drive to be better. without that incentive, what's the point?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 512gb SATAIII SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Sennheiser PC 350 Headset
Saitek Eclipse II