where's the undo button :P

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

where's the undo button :P

Postby Storm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:17 am

hey guys i paid some guy on craigslist $50 to help me build my pc, because i had never done it before. i now feel comfortable, i was just a little bit scared about things like applying thermal compound and stuff like that and didnt want to throw 1500 down the drain.

anyway, its a sandybridge 2600k with asus p8z68vLE motherboard

when we finished building it, he proceeded to overclocking, which i had never done, and i wasnt really watching what he was doing

now i want to do my own overclocking, but dont want to overclock on top of the overclocking he has already done, so my question is

how do i undo what he has done, when i dont even know what he did?

would a fresh install of windows reset any overclocking he has done? or am i @#$!?
Storm
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 am

window doesn't usually control that feature, sometimes certain programs INSIDE windows may do it, but usually it stems from moves made in the BIOS.
your easiest procedure to undo things in the bios is to reset it. find the "clear cmos" button or jumper that is physically on the mobo pcb, and while the computer is off hold it in for ten to 15 seconds. that should completely erase whatever settings were once held in there. it'll be a clean start. I am not completely familiar with your board, so read the manual on exactly the correct method of doing this, but generally that is how it is done.

you should familiarize yourself with the current settings before you do the clear, though... there'll be some other stuff you might want back, most importantly the setting on the boot and hdd order and the sata controller... whether it is in IDE, RAID, or AHCI mode. best is RAID mode, as it is inclusive of AHCI, and gives you some bells and whisltes the IDE mode won't give you. BUT if your OS was installed in IDE mode, it is probable that what you installed as your OS won't read in any other mode. this arises from not having installed any driver for the sata controller when you did the original install. that is the reason for IDE mode, simplicity at OS install.
sometimes these boards have different controllers for one reason or another, so watch for that too. i know that there is both intel and marvell controllers on many asus boards, and who knows which controller you are using for the OS? you should make sure to know this.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Storm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 am

Okay ill write all the settings down before factory reseting the bios. Thank you very much sir,

Ill post when I get home what's going on.

Also, im sure most are familiar with the 2600k. Factory clock is 3.4 and he overclocked to 3.8, but I have a huge cooler master heatsink on the board I installed on there, so i think i should be able to safely get a bit higher, no?

so I know ill have to find the correct settings by incrementally increasing them etc, but what do you think I could potentially overclock at to be safe, but also get the most out of the cpu?

I plan on overclocking with the multiplier is this reccomended?

Thanks alot
Storm
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 am

In BIOS there may be a selection for 'Default settings' (notably in overclock settings, this may leave boot order, HD Controller, etc. settings alone.

In general, you might be able to start where the settings were for your 'successful' overclocking - a few things to watch:
- Temperatures... 30c is great, over 80c may cook components. CPU is not the only component that can overheat...
- Voltages...memory (for example) will tend to work better at slightly higher voltage, but too much and it may burn out. Voltage also affects heat generation.
- BSOD or Benchmarking... when the system becomes unreliable it's likely clocking too fast.
Many just keep winding up clocking till system becomes unstable (BSOD, or other errors), then notch back a bit.
3.8 Gz out of a 3.4 Gz system is a decent overclock, you may get more - and some extreme overclocking works for a while but fails as it heats up... play with it.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Storm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 am

okay, well @#$!. how much performance am i going to get by increasing the clock? because im running at about 30 +/- 3 degrees on all cores at idle. how much further should i go?
Storm
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bdub » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am

the 2600k "turbo boost"'s up to 3.8 ghz automatically if that function is turned on in the bios.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070 (feedback section has some info on others oc's with that chip)
i'm not sure how manually increasing the minimum clock speed affects turbo boost, or the graphics processor built into the cpu, or the power savings functions of the cpu, but it seems to me like 3.8 ghz ai't that much of an overclock if the cpu can do that automatically, when it is really needed.
maybe someone else here can explain that.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Overclockers Anonymous