Democrats...........your call

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Democrats...........your call

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:58 am

Ok anti Iraq, anti Afghanistan, etc. people, it is your call. What should the US do if Iran literally attacks us and sinks US Navy ships in the Straits of Hormuz while they are simply returning to a base in the Middle East?

Should we just say so what, we did not need those ships anyway? It is going to put Obama on the spot and it will definitely change the worlds view of our power if Obama secumbs to their demands.

This is going to be a real test for the current president and he is going to have to put his actions where his mouth is.

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-threatens-ac ... 24042.html
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:48 am

Almost all nations do have military operations in "open" waters, mainly for training operations and supply trips. But any nation that wantonly attacks another just for want of action is sure to be on the very short end of a dirty stick from retaliation! Our world is dependent on petroleum fuels.. and any third-class nation that attempts to disrupt that flow is looking for serious trouble.
No nation or sovereign territory should have weapons in the "atomic" class. Or world is poisoned enough from radiation fall-out. For peaceful uses, "atomic" power is an alternative to natural sources. "Power for peace, not war".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Here, here, I am totally with you on that, Karlsweldt, but I do not think enough people are.
I think the vast majority of people here know where you and I stand but I just do not think that enough people, especially on the left, quite realize how important oil is in this modern age. Oil is not just used for "fuels", meaning what makes a machine operate but oil is actually used for sooooo many other things that I do not think this world will be able to be without it for a very long time. So many things such as plastic are made from byproducts of oil that even if all cars and machines were converted to solar power, we still would rely on oil for major things such as plastics. Think about how many things are made from plastics such as the keyboards that people type on, the cell phones that so many people cannot seem to live without to the bottles our babies drink out of and sooo much more.
On top of that, if the US starts letting even one person/nation push us around it will start a landslide that Americans have never experienced.

So, Democrats/Obama, do we stand up for ourselves or not? This is going to be one of the biggest times of being close to major war since the 1950's.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:53 am

Seeing even China is taking advantage of the situation and not opposing the US, I think Iran has no option but to bow for the international pressure. This one does not depend on Obama alone and as such will not be a real test...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 am

Major militarized nations such as China, the U.S.A. and the U.K. know well the outcome of any warring acts against each other. WWI and WWII sort of "wizened" us to what a rogue nation would attempt. But those rogue nations do not have long foresight into the future, to realize what would be "payback" for their actions!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 am

What if Iran does not bow down? What should we do then? People in that region of the world live for their beliefs and they are willing to die for them.

And, Karlsweldt, I totally agree especially with your last sentence but that is the whole point. Smaller nations kind of have a size envy and feel they have to or need to do something about it.

So, 2996 people died as a direct result of 9/11 and yet the vast amount of people in the US feel we should have done nothing about it so if Iran sinks or destroys an official US Navy ship, plane or maybe an oil tanker do Democrats still feel we should do nothing about it? Especially when one of theirs is in the Oval Office?

There are other nations around the world, like North Korea, with this kind of envy but they are not in the same kind of spot to be able to have the same kind of power.

Democrats speak up, I would love to hear how you feel now that Obama is put into a critical position such as this. It is so interesting how the liberal media is so silent on this issue. If this were a Republican in this situation it would be all they talk about.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 am

I am an independent voter.. choosing the "lesser of two evils" to be a figurehead of our country.
Doesn't matter if the President is a Democrat or Republican.. rogue nations will always try their hand at inflicting damage against a prime nation or sovereign. Many past U.S. Presidents were faced with crisis situations, such as the Cuban missile event, the Korean War, Viet Nam, and such.. including our own Civil wars. Common sense, proper judgement and collaboration among military experts derive a proper solution.. with little collateral damage. Many wars were begun due to warped religious beliefs.. and had huge death tolls. Yet mankind is supposed to be the "more intelligent" species on Earth!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 am

Perhaps it would make for an opportunity for the Left to lash out against the 'REAL' Terrorists - the Radical Tea Party !

Froma Harrop, President of the National Conference of Editorial Writers, said “The tea party Republicans have engaged in economic terrorism against the United States–threatening to blow up the economy if they don’t get what they want. And like the al-Qaida bombers, what they want is delusional: the dream of restoring some fantasy caliphate.” She continued “Americans are not supposed to negotiate with terrorists, but that’s what Obama has been doing.”

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=12746

THEN perhaps there would be time to deal with Iran...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:13 pm

With Obama in the oval office, I doubt that his lame track record would indicate anything resembling an appropriate action.

If it were me in the oval office and Iran attacked or sunk any U.S. military boat or ship or U.S. flagged privately owned boat or ship, Iran would never be able to float anything even closely resembling a boat or ship in the water ever again. If the United States retaliated with such a response and Iran responded back with a like attack I would drop so many bombs on Iran that the country would lean to the side from the weight of the metal. Nukes I don't think so. To do so it would have to be a situation where the United states would be threatened with complete annihilation. In that case after which there would be no more middle east.......

Ron Paul for President............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to The Hundred Year War