To get rid of.....
1) Go to internet properties and delete all your cookies etc....
2) Go to filehippo.com
C)MS Security Essentials (for XP)
3) Install A+B and update....
4)Reboot and boot into SAFE MODE.
5) Run Malwarebytes _ It should pick any nasty up and prompt you to delete them. If it can't delete any, it will tell you where it is (usually a hidden folder so you have to unhide all your hidden folders) so you can navigate to it and delete it.
6) Once done, reboot into normal mode, delete any AV you have and install MS Security Essentials, update it and run a full system scan.
7) Run CrapCleaner, to remove any debris and use the the registry fix tool as well..
The three programs are free and work well. Malwarebytes will come up with a 'trial version', say no and it will still work.
If the above doesn't work, reformat and use your XP key, it will be fine.
On a side note, download JAVA and Flash, latest versions, these exploits can and do use them to attack, the latest versions of JAVA and Flash plug these holes...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...