"New" system setup..

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

"New" system setup..

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 am

Working on a newer system setup for my primary use.
Got an Intel® D975XBX2KR mobo at a good price, Core 2 Duo® CPU 2.4 GHz included. PSU will be a 650 watt Antec, will be getting a GFX 280 PCI video card for it. And a 500 GB Seagate® SATA drive. Will have 2 GB of G Skill 1066 DDR2 memory. Full-size case, of course!
Planning on a 'transplant' of my Win XP into it. Expecting some hassles with reactivation, but want to get the most "mileage" from my current OS.
Should be online in another week or so.
Doing this mainly for the F@H program. Just barely making the expiration dates with my older setup. My secondary XP OS setup will then get a 'transplant' into the primary case.
Come 'hammer down' time in April, likely will upgrade to Win 7 for the primary setup unless XP is still viable.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 am

What is your current system again? Intel chipset too? I lost track a bit
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:28 am

The primary setup has been an Intel base since originally having Win 98. Did an upgrade to W2K, with a Chaintech 848P mobo. Then went with an ASRock Conroe 865PE mobo. And an XP Pro upgrade when W2K was abandoned. Now will be a migration to the Intel D975 design. Hopefully, XP will still be honored for reactivation. Yes, becoming a bit "too many stages" for this system. But eventually will do a clean setup with Win 7. If my "money tree" had more "fruit" to give, would go the proper 'new build' path now.
Guess I am one of those "old-timers" that likes to use a feature for as long as it can be used.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 am

02/17..
Short update: (Miss-typed the GTX 280 as GFX 280. Sorry! :oops: )
Got the GTX 280 and installed it.. but no video out! Did a POST card diagnostics check, all codes run through with no problems. Video setting in BIOS is 'auto' select.
From the specs on the GTX 280, it is classed as PCI-E version 2.0. The mobo is classed as PCI-E version 1.1. But the video card is supposed to be backward-compatible to older mobo versions.
A test with an older PCI video card did provide good video. The DVI to VGA connector plugs are known-good.
BIOS date for the D975 mobo is 11/16/2006, so it should be compatible to the GTX 280. May do a BIOS update and see if that works.
02/19..
Did some research on the GTX280 power requirements, and noted there should be green LED lights at the back if the card is working properly. The lights were RED! Further research noted that both the 8-pin and 6-pin power sockets on the card must be connected to the PSU. The booklet with the GTX280 only mentioned connecting the proper plug and socket, not both!! What should have been a clue is its cooling fan not powering on when first started. The card needs around 230 watts (19amps) normally.
DUMMY! Image
Dug out the second lead set for PCI-E, plugged it in and powered up. VIDEO! All systems go!!!
Got a new Seagate 500 GB SATA drive from New Egg, and a Win 7 Home Premium edition. Should be on-line in less than a week.
From browsing results for F@H points per day, should be in the range of 6,000 to 8,000!
Final system specs:
Using a generic 6-bay full tower from previous build..
PSU: Antec 650 watt TP3- 650
Mobo: Intel D975XBX2KR I975X LGA775
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1066 MHz FSB: SL 9S8, 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 x G-SKil DDR2/1066 1 GB GSK F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK 1066 (matched pair)
Hard drive: Seagate ES ST500NM0011 500GB 7200 RPM Constellation
Video: Nvidia GTX 280 1 GB PCI-E x16
Audio: On-board SigmaTel STAC9271D 8-channel
4 x USB 2.0, On-board 1 x 1394a
LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps Intel 82573E
Optical: Pioneer DVD-RW (DVR-116D) and LG 16x DVD reader
Will still keep a 3.5" FDD!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 pm

if you can still find some 2x2GB stix of ddr2 at a good price, you should try to up the ram to take advantage of 64 bit OS when you get there, don't you think? maybe you can find something similar to what you already have, and give yourself 6 gigs, or find 4x2GB and get to 8 gigs.
and it's weird that your vidcard didn't sound an alarm when it didn't give video. but I guess they had a light instead of a speaker.

you can still find ddr2 at 2x2gb at 60 bucks...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231207
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 am

not in this list:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... htm#tested

not in this list:
http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/mbSearchRes ... mit=Search

so make sure you have a free RMA policy. This board is just old enough to be picky on memory...

product page:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f2-6400cl5d-4gbnt
no info on what boards it runs with.

combined part number search board/memory is giving just 12 hits...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 am

Did a test install of XP Pro on the evolving system, had no problems. Did load the Intel driver set, but not the latest video drivers. Was getting high resolution and good performance with an older Nvidia driver. A memory test with Aida showed good. IIRC, did note a 4-4-4-15 timing notation for memory.
Likely the compatibility listings have not been updated to include the G Skill modules. The mobo was a 'used' deal, listed as tested, fully working.. with 30 day return.
Waiting until the new OS and drive to arrive (maybe today?) before really going the "full nine yards". Looks like an interesting weekend!
There is a "squeaker" on the mobo, but does not sound any beeps. Might be a jumper somewhere, have not checked. Did a download of the user manual and drivers.. from Intel.
Have no need for a 64-bit OS right now, will wait until required. With 2 gigs of system memory and the GTX280 card's 1 GB memory, approaching the max memory limit for the OS. So Nada on 4 gigs of system memory.
Only feature of the new system I don't appreciate is the case.. have to take out the video card and memory to enable a hard drive access from its bay!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Can't take off the front and access the bays from there? You have to excuse my question but I have worked in places where i could not move or access a case properly from the side...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 am

Had gotten this case several years ago, did not "look first" to see how it was designed. The 5.25" basket array is riveted to the frame and front panel, and the 3.5" basket is screwed to the front plate with a screw on each side of the basket as well as on the bottom! The motherboard tray is riveted to the frame also. But it is of heavy-gauge metal, lots of ventilation.. and can mount almost any type of mobo or accessories. Would love to have a design with just two screws to remove, and the 3.5" basket easily lifts out!!
Or the mobo tray is screwed to the frame, instead of riveted.
UPS delivered my "goodies" about 6 pm last night, looks like I will spend a rainy day today, doing this setup.

Update 02.22..
All set up, ready to install Win 7. The Pioneer DVD burner/reader won't read the OS disk! Neither will another DVD reader I had. Same too for the #1 system!!! So had to order a new Sony DRU-540A burner. Have to wait a few days to get it. Hope that cures the problem. Should have gone with a SATA type optical drive, though. But wanted a unit with a beige face plate.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 am

Update the 26th..
Got the new DVD drive delivered yesterday, let it "thaw out" for about an hour. Installed, and no problem reading the OS install disk.
Took about 3 hours to do the full install, including needed drivers and security suite. Then got a c**p load of OS patches.. 150!!!
Not really happy with Win 7 and its "lockdown" features. Had to create a phantom account so I could change my Administrator/sole user rights! Still not able to network with my other systems.
Will be doing a 3D benchmark test later today.. to check video performance. Likely will set up the F@H process to work by Friday.. if I don't pull the rest of my hair out!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to System Modification