A GPU in my Dell Vostro

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

A GPU in my Dell Vostro

Postby Mike-K » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello.
I'd like a bit of guidance putting a serious GPU in my Vostro 410 (running its stock CPU -- Core2 Quad {Q6600} ). I have a not-so-serious board in it now, and I'm sure that, with the upgrade, the enclosure will require more airflow. I should note that this project will be used for distributed processing (e.g. SETI@home), and might be on for a couple days at a time.

The GPU is an HIS 7950 IceQ (i.e. AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost), which has a max TDP of 225 W. It's a dual-width unit (i.e. it takes two slot openings). It has a fan, and there are 4 tubes that loop on the top (liquid cooling?)

So, do I need more airflow than what the stock fan gives?

The case fan (in the back) is 120 mm. There is no place to mount a fan in the front (drive bays to the bottom, and no room in the facia (plastic front piece).

If it needs more airflow, should I get a better case fan, or supplement the extant one with a PCI-slot fan? What CFM (or m^3/hr) should I go for?
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: A GPU in my Dell Vostro

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 am

Before worrying about airflow, will you please replace the 350W stock PSU with something decent?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mike-K » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 am

[quote="evasive"]Before worrying about airflow, will you please replace the 350W stock PSU with something decent?[/quote]

That's already covered! It was so obvious that I didn't even think to mention it. :-/

I found an EVGA 600W unit.
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 am

Ambient temperatures play a role in how much cooling air is needed for a highly active PC. The higher the ambient temperature, the more forceful the CPU/GPU fans will run.
But a general rule is airflow should be 1.5:1 ratio, input to exhaust. And at least 2 feet of free space behind the PC.. or warm air is recirculated.
Most PC cases have space for a front case fan, but the front panel is not vented! If a rear fan provision, typically employed as an exhaust fan. Better an intake fan purpose.
The mid-tower case I use for F@H has two rows of perforations at the bottom of the side panels. Adds maybe 8 sq. in. of air flow inlet. My GTX460 'sings' a bit when fully active with F@H. PSU is an Antec TP-3 650 watt model.
If your system has only a 350 watt PSU, it may be "adequate" for how it was delivered. But not for any upgrades. Definitely go with 700+ wattage, if the GPU needs 225 watts!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Ok, this is what it looks like when undressed:
http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/ind ... mitstart=2

I don't think you need an extra fan to push air in your case, this thing will take whatever air it needs.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mike-K » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 am

[quote="evasive"]I don't think you need an extra fan to push air in your case, this thing will take whatever air it needs.[/quote]

Ok, thank you. I'd like to compare the temperature (no card vs. with card).
Mike-K
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to System Modification