Win XP login

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win XP login

Postby Ol Dave » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:28 pm

I just bought about 50 Dell Optiplex 240 and 260 systems at auction from a small school system who was upgrading. All the units still have the Windows XP Pro COA stickers attached. My problem/question is these all have Windows passwords and I have little to no chance to ever be able to get those. Is there a way to reset the the passords so these can be viable systems?

Appreciate any advise and guidance !!
Ol Dave
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:19 pm

If used at a school there's a good chance they are ridden with nasties/illegal software (kids...), better nuke the install and put a fresh one on it. They should have come with the Dell windows XP CD, even these systems are sold with a CD of some sort. Ask the person selling for it.

If not going that route and deciding to keep the installs as is, PM me for advice.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:08 am

PM'd you something on this.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ol Dave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks guys!
Ol Dave
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Storm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:22 pm

do you have or can you get a windows install disc? because normally when buying systems from a source like a school, where kids are involved, i'd reccomend reinstalling. its good to do anyway
Storm
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Operating Systems