dead Acer N1996 with dual core SLA8Z processor

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

dead Acer N1996 with dual core SLA8Z processor

Postby roddenberry » Mon May 09, 2011 3:48 am

A friend of mine gave me a relatively new pc that seemed to have suffered a premature death. He brought it to the repair shop and they declared it kaput!

It starts up and all fans run, but no sound, no boot screen, no nothing. Holding the power button shuts it down. So I elimimated many of the components by testing them out, the memory works perfectly in my HP dual core, the power supply too. And I got a nice SATA DVD burner from it.

So that left the CPU and the mobo, both of which seem intact visually. My thought was to hunt down an old mobo compatible with mine and put the CPU in to see if its alive. I know that the 1.8 GHz SLA8Z cpu was discontinued in 2009 so that might be hard to locate a board that will fit it.

My goal is just spare the expense of both a CPU and a mobo, if I only need one or the other, and I have no other method of trying out either device... Any recommendation on a cheap, used mobo I could look out for?

Robert
roddenberry
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby AmEv » Mon May 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Socket?

If not sure, upload pix and post them here, or look for numbers.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 10, 2011 5:37 am

That "N1996" notation is just a form factor type of the mobo. The processor noted, 1.8 GHz SLA8Z, is an Intel Socket LGA775 type.
The "Acer" brand would be part of the ID for the system. Should be a service tag either on the back or bottom of the case, denoting the true model type.
Those mini-tower computers typically do not have a robust power supply to give longevity. And when it fails, then the mobo and other features will die with it.
You could test the system with a known-good power supply, to see if there is any life left.
Also look over the large tubular capacitors on the mobo. The tops should not be domed, or show signs of leakage. Otherwise, they have gone bad. More info about the "bad caps" syndrome at www.badcaps.net/ .
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 am

"N1996" is usually found on MSI boards. What is the system model of that Acer?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby roddenberry » Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I looked thoroughly at the board, and aside from the N1996 silk-screened mark and the ACER logo, there is absolutely no model number anywhere... just a bunch of serial numbers on stickers that return no results on Google.

One sticker has the bios info: 686 Amibios ©1999 VQ78 3682 . Another sticker has the manufacture date 2008-03

Here's an image of the board in question:

All the capacitors look perfectly good, the socket is indeed for a LGA775 pinless processor. It's a shame because it's a really nice mobo, The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the power supply, with a 24-pin main connector and 4-pin aux 12v connector.

PS: no tags at the back of the case, but the front sticker bears the model number AM1640-E1404B

Robert
roddenberry
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 am

In cases like this, a POST diagnostics card is helpful to determine if a mobo is still viable. Several models available at Elston Systems Website and other sources. They display a two-character code for each POST step, and when a character set 'hangs' that is where you begin trouble-shooting. Most cards also have a string of LEDs that show if voltages are proper, as well as BIOS and oscillator (FSB clock) activity.
Check that the CPU is good by testing in another system that can accept it. And ensure that the memory is suitable for the intended setup. One other common problem with 'no-start' is that the BIOS battery is dead, and the real-time clock is not working. Try a new BIOS battery.
As to a test power supply, it should be minimal 400 watts output.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 pm

The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the power supply, with a 24-pin main connector and 4-pin aux 12v connector.

Borrow one to test with. This is the Aspire M1640 btw.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wealdcomputing » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:39 pm

If it's any consolation, I have a customer who's PC with the identical Motherboard, also failed. With no VGA output, attempts to read the HDD's and no diagnostic beeps. I'm calling it dead, but it's odd that there is 'some' working onboard activity, such as RAM detection (gives constant beep on RAM pull), On/Off works, power to fan, etc.

I have carried out a CMOS clear, pulled/tested the battery and all is well.

It's even prompted me to buy a new diagnostic card!
wealdcomputing
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:37 pm

The model number for this motherboard under the hood is MS-7399 and it is made by MSI.

I just replaced a power supply inside an Acer (again! ) so better check that one first. If it is branded FSP Fortron Source or similar, chances are high it is kaputt.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wealdcomputing » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 am

I forgot to mention, the PSU was fried in my situation. I have a PSU adapter and although the fan in the PSU was running, there was zero output via the internal cables.

Thanks for the true model of the mobo Evasive.
wealdcomputing
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Tech Support