GPU2 Folding to finish

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

GPU2 Folding to finish

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:18 pm

But don't panic.....GPU2 folding will be ending in a while. No more GPU2 projects will be started, they are just waiting for the current projects to finish. This will mean that we'll all have to switch to the GPU3 client which will definitely work with the following NVidia boards.

8400 (slow)
And any other board in the 8xxx, 9xxx, 2xx series. Note that All boards in the 4xx series will not run the GPU2 client

ATI users will have to check if their boards are compatible, I'm not really clear about this.

The GPU3 client is available in the performance clients section at the Folding@Home website. At the moment the only version available is a Graphical version. I'll keep you updated on exactly when you need to update, there's no need to just yet. There are also a few fiddly things you need to do when installing the new client, a couple of dll files that need to be moved into the correct directories. More later.....

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:40 am

Some further research has shown up this page.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15196

This lists all supported hardware (ATI is O.K) and the fact there is a console version which isn't listed on the Folding@home download page. You will almost certainly need to update your drivers for GPU3 to run properly. Follow the links to get the console version, I'd advise you use the console version as all you need to do is complete your current unit, using the -oneunit flag, then unzip the files into your GPU2 directory and restart.

EDIT..Some more info...Installed GPU3 console version on an Nvidia 9600GT, picked up a GPU3 unit, a whopping 1300 pointer, ppd similar to GPU2.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Sounds good, Pete. Will likely be another year or so before I do a total upgrade to my system(s) and get into the GPU client. But I would need rockets on my wheelchair to catch up with you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Sounds good, Pete. Will likely be another year or so before I do a total upgrade to my system(s) and get into the GPU client. But I would need rockets on my wheelchair to catch up with you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you do it, the Nvidia 240 card is a good way to start. You can get 4.5k per day and the great thing is that they don't need any additional power connections. Amazingly they'll run on a 300w PSU, unlike the power hungry 250 card which needs a 550w PSU.

The great thing about GPU folding is that the units only take 3 or 4 hours, one of my machines has done 4181 units in 17 months :o

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Very tempting, to get my points 'out of the basement! So far this year, I have only 322 units finished.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team