Spam building up where are the moderators?

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 pm

We have a couple of levels of mods, one low level that just keeps the peace, another that can actually remove a user and posts. For the most part, though, the banning of a member is a group decision, not even the site owner will ban a user without input from everybody, and plenty of public chances for reconciliation. Not like we go around banning people left and right (I've personally only removed two in six years).
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:29 pm

One addendum to the rules for membership should be that "There will be no advertising of a product or service other than permitted by Motherboards.org. An infringement may be grounds for immediate and permanent banning of the member".

One problem with spammers is that they use a new handle for each visit in annoying a site.. probably with the same URL address! Their URL address should be listed as banned, also.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

Yeah. I guess I'm just lucky not to have it pop up.
Either that, or it's fixed.

Now, take a look at http://gamepyre.com/index.php . T2 is the only active mod.

I know, GP isn't very popular, and not completely related to MBO, but this, imo, is a bit ridiculous.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

We've got Evasive, HJ, and myself on duty now. Three of us should be enough to keep up with the daily stuff, we have an admin staff (Evasive is admin now) as well to handle harder to deal with problems.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:38 pm

:mb_brucelee::
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 am

fussnfeathers wrote:We have a couple of levels of mods, one low level that just keeps the peace, another that can actually remove a user and posts. For the most part, though, the banning of a member is a group decision, not even the site owner will ban a user without input from everybody, and plenty of public chances for reconciliation. Not like we go around banning people left and right (I've personally only removed two in six years).
There are options availble to give moderators admin abilities such as banning, deleting members. but the plain jane version of phpBB used here does not have or use these features. Moderators can only lock, move or delete threads or posts. Admins have more options availble to them..
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am

Same idea, except we have one higher level above Mod, Staff. I'm one step below Admin, but I can do more than mods can. Actually. I think the only thing I can't do is turn the site on or off. I can do everything else.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:20 am

The more "eyes" on watch, the more secure any endeavor will be. Any Forum member noting newcomers posting links or ads should report them to a Mod.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby listeasy2010 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Other forums may operate like that but I don't think a forum with moderators who do not contribute is a good place to be. I think it is good that this forum has never operated like that.
listeasy2010
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 pm

listeasy2010 wrote:Other forums may operate like that but I don't think a forum with moderators who do not contribute is a good place to be. I think it is good that this forum has never operated like that.

You obviously missed the post that said I have 4000 plus posts on the forum I don't contribute to much. :P Besides, that's not what I said. What I said is I don't explain my decision once I've done my job. Other than that, I'm just not over the top with 30,000 posts all in the games section.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Forum Problems/Errors