I have detached SATA socket from motherboard!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I have detached SATA socket from motherboard!

Postby Chevalier » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 am

I have an ASUS P5B Premium motherboard and whilst removing several SATA cables I failed to press the release clip and inadvertently pulled the SATA plastic shroud from the motherboard leads. The leads and the plastic shroud are OK but I do not know how to put back the plastic shroud. Do I just supeglue back the plastic shroud or is the matter more complicated than that?

Can anyone please offer any advice?
Chevalier
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 am

that depends on what it looks like now... is the center piece still there?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Chevalier » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:34 am

evasive wrote:that depends on what it looks like now... is the center piece still there?

The centre piece exists in good condition and pins on the motherboard are all there and fairly straight.
Chevalier
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Those "super" glue types would not be the best for affixing a data cable socket. Better would be some hot glue around its base. Best would be an epoxy type adhesive.
Note the other SATA sockets, there is a 'key' at one end of the center strip. Ensure that all sockets are mounted the same way, then gently press the socket straight down to the board surface.There are only 7 connection pins for the original SATA cable. The e-SATA connections total 15. If all the pins are still straight and intact, you may be lucky. SATA connections:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Hot glue is your best bet. I see a lot of people using this in the PC world to secure cables for systems that are being shipped.

A lot of hot glue melts plastic so be careful if you go that route.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Chevalier » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:56 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Those "super" glue types would not be the best for affixing a data cable socket. Better would be some hot glue around its base. Best would be an epoxy type adhesive.
Note the other SATA sockets, there is a 'key' at one end of the center strip. Ensure that all sockets are mounted the same way, then gently press the socket straight down to the board surface.There are only 7 connection pins for the original SATA cable. The e-SATA connections total 15. If all the pins are still straight and intact, you may be lucky.

Those are great tips. Thank you.
Chevalier
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Chevalier » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:56 am

Hardware Junkie wrote:Hot glue is your best bet. I see a lot of people using this in the PC world to secure cables for systems that are being shipped.

A lot of hot glue melts plastic so be careful if you go that route.

Many thanks for the heads up.
Chevalier
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support