I've had enough

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Pette Broad » Sun May 23, 2010 2:07 pm

As far as I can tell, there are no big units available at the moment. I'm getting the same 123 point units.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Have been getting some of those 'ProtoMol' WUs recently. No problems as before, so far..
Just had a look at the current projects list and there are a few very high-credit WUs in the list with more than 10,000 points each!! But they have a time-line of 3~4 days!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Just had a look at the current projects list and there are a few very high-credit WUs in the list with more than 10,000 points each!! But they have a time-line of 3~4 days!
Well I would be more than grateful to get one :roll:

Well I'm no longer on the 123 point P6501 units. Now it's the P6502 worth 59 points!!!

I'm not just interested in scores! Surely these small units are better used by older and slower machines i.e. Pentium 4's etc? It just seems such a pitiful waste to give them out to machines like mine which are more than capable of the big units. I looked at my stats and it seems that my worst folding time in recent months was when I used 63% of a unit's deadline i.e. I was 37% ahead of the allocated time-frame. Usually I use less than 50%.

I hope Stanford sort this out soon, it just seems ridiculous!
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby MrG » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am

I'm still not getting the biggies I'm expecting. And to be honest, after looking through all my past logs, I understated the problem, it's not 900+ pointers I'm looking for it's 2000+ pointers.

The specific issue is, I'm no longer getting the SMP Gromacs. I'm sure I have everything installed correctly and to be honest I've not changed anything in months. So I am totally lost as to why I have been relegated to Folding these tiddlers.

Considering the cost of electric it takes to keep this machine on 24/7, it's just not worth it. So if I can't fix it within the next month, regretfully I'll have to stop. I might try a complete reinstall and go from there.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Many of the new projects are formulated to work with the graphics processor, or GPU.. "GROGPU2" category. Or for multi-core processors, where an individual core can be 'captured'.
I will take whatever is issued, to support the team. I shut down each night, giving only about 14 hours of run-time per day. Yes, it is expensive to run a system 24/7. Some areas have a high KWH cost for electric power, others are much lower. My area has a rate of $0.174 per KWH!
I just broke the 200,000 milestone! :D
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

I didn't realize you were looking for SMP units. I haven't done any of those for ages so I've no idea what the availability is. I'll look into it for you and get back shortly.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby MrG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 am

Pette Broad wrote:I didn't realize you were looking for SMP units. I haven't done any of those for ages so I've no idea what the availability is. I'll look into it for you and get back shortly.

Pete

Sorry Pete, I guess I should have explained properly. Yes it's the SMP units for my Core 2. :)

I appreciate the help.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

No problem. The first step is to get the correct client, it's on the high performance page.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

You then need to add the 2 flags mentioned on the download page and it seems that you have to use a passkey. There's also a link to a Wiki page that may help with your settings....

I've had a quick look at what's available, not much from the looks of it. There are 4 SMP servers and 3 of them look to be empty. The 4th one looks to have several thousand units available but they are described as GROCVS, very strange. Try adding or removing the -advmethods flag, something else I seem to remember is that you need to use your windows logon password with SMP.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team