Question 2: On board video, can I bypass to use diff. GPU?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question 2: On board video, can I bypass to use diff. GPU?

Postby BarJabba » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 pm

This is on the same boards as in Question 1.

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX

One has the CrossFire ATI video on board, the other doesn't.

I am using a the XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB and I plan to get another to do SLI for some folding and all my other stuff.

Can I bypass the ATI on board video? I did bypass the on board video on my current comp. But with the same GPU type (GeForce).

If I can use my XFX on this board, is there a way to utilize both GPU's(both Geforce & ATI)?

Thank you,

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 am

1. Yes, you can bypass the onboard video. Chipset doesn't matter.

2. Can you use both onboard and discreet video at the same time? Not with your video card. The board with onboard video uses Hybrid CrossfireX, and requires a compatible ATI graphics card.

3. On the 790X motherboard, no. You cannot add a second GeForce 9600 and use it with your current card. The board is a CrossfireX board, and does not support SLI. If you do not want to buy a new video card, you need to find a motherboard that supports SLI, or both SLI and Crossfire.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ghen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:04 am

SLI and Crossfire are not interchangeable on either the video card or the motherboard. A motherboard has to specifically state it supports one or the other or both. this is pretty crucial, so beware while shopping!
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

<otherboard questions.

Postby BarJabba » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:49 am

fussnfeathers wrote: ...
2. Can you use both onboard and discreet video at the same time? Not with your video card. The board with onboard video uses Hybrid CrossfireX, and requires a compatible ATI graphics card.

3. On the 790X motherboard, no. You cannot add a second GeForce 9600 and use it with your current card. The board is a CrossfireX board, and does not support SLI. If you do not want to buy a new video card, you need to find a motherboard that supports SLI, or both SLI and Crossfire.

Just to be clear. (for me):

On Answer two:

CrossFireX on board and slotted GeForce = I can bypass to utilize the GeForce 9600 GSO.

CrossFireX on Board and slotted GeForce = I cannot use both GPU's, unless MB explicitly says it supports both.

On Answer three:

On the 790, I see two PCIe x16 slots. You mean it won't except two like graphic cards to run together(in tandem)? I should look for the SLI spec on the MB specs, right?

I may have decided which MB to get. I just wanna make real sure. My installer isn't forthcoming on advisement on this most important decision, so, I must think carefully on this purchase. It's gotta be the one and it will have to me last a LOOONG time.

FYI: I am now thinking this MB (see next) would be better because of the SLI and that the on board video is GeForce. Now, I want to know if I can run (in SLI) the on board video (GeForce 8 series) and my Geforce 9600 GSO? Now that would be neato if that could be done. I'd start folding(and other stuff) right away.
I am looking at this MB.

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD

It seems to be the type of MB I am looking for. I can't seem to find one with this combination in an ASUS board. I am new to MSI (or any other board for that matter). Some of the boards seem a little cheezy or untrustworthy. I have been exclusively purchaseing ASUS since the late 90's. I stopped the Intel CPU stuff around 2000.

This has a three way SLI and if something happens to my XFX card, I will still be up and running with the on board video.

I have already bought the Cooler Master HAF 932 (wow what a cool, huge looking case this is), an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black.

Now, if I can get memory without giving an arm and a leg for, I will be sitting real good. :?

Thanks Fussy for the input. Thanks for your time in giving me some answers, it is much needed.

BarJabba :)
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Right, on both counts. Neither of your two picks supports nVidia cards in SLI. You have to use ATI cards to run dual GPU's. No way around that one.

MSI is fine. I would put them in third place behind Asus and Gigabyte. Not really good overclocking boards, but solid and stable.

Video- on the MSI board, no, you cannot run SLI with the onboard and your 9600. Two different GPU's. Even if you could do that, nVidia does not support SLI mixing onboard and discreet cards. If you want SLI, you need to have an identical GPU card, in your case, a second 9600GSO. And it HAS to be a GSO. You can't buy a 9600GT on sale and use it with your current card. However, you can buy an eVGA 9600GSO and that will be fine, even if the VRAM amount is different. If you find, say, a 9600GSO from somebody other than XFX that only has 512mb VRAM, that's fine. You'll need to have the latest vid card drivers and CoolBits software to force your current card to only use 512mb, instead of 1GB. The only thing that needs to be the same is the actual GPU chip.

Make sense? You just need an identical model card to go SLI.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Uh Oh!. Oh man, did I JUST make a mistake!

Postby BarJabba » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:30 pm

I had always used ASUS. I was thinking that GigaByte would be third.
I just bought the MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard. You say MSI is third?? Also, this board is supposed to do three-way SLI. It also had the PATA drive spec, because I have an internal 160GB drive I'd like to use. I don't HAVE to have it, but I haven't had time to get all the stuff off of it. I was going to try Windows 7 on it.

You said something negative about the SLI stuff for these MSI boards. :( Now, I am a little nervous about just purchasing this one. I didn't find anything in the ASUS board that does what this board advertises. It also has both PS2 inputs.

Ack, why doesn't ASUS have a three way SLI. I don't need an on-board video. Dang, I sure wish my ?tech? contact would have offered me some help in deciding on the right MB for my use. I haven't shopped for computer for computer builds for awhile.

I wonder if I should find someone else to do this upgrade/build...

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:02 pm

The MSI can do three-way SLI, sure. But you need three discreet, matching video cards in the three video card slots. You can't use the onboard video as a card for SLI. Not a negative thing, no SLI board can do that, no matter how expensive or well-rated. Simply not a part of the design, is all. REPEAT: you cannot use onboard video in SLI mode. It does not work. Period. To run three way SLI, you need three matching video cards to plug into the three video card slots, and you disable the onboard video in the BIOS. It is not used for SLI.

It's getting harder to find AMD boards that support SLI these days, since AMD owns ATI. Their focus is more on CrossfireX now, since it's their technology.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131383

There's an Asus M4N82 Deluxe that supports three-way SLI. But comparing to your new MSI, it's not any better, and in some regards, doesn't match the specs of the MSI.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Yes, I know about the cards being the same,

Postby BarJabba » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeh, I know in order to use this board you have to use three separate cards (in my case 3 9600's). I read a little just after my last message.

I was hoping in my original wuestion that if both the on-board and a (1) discreet card were of the same type (GeForce) that I could use them both, as in folding. You answer that already. I fugyred that after your first answer, that I would have to have exactly the same card for the SLI's (2, or 3). I am getting another XFX GeForce GSO 9600 1GB to do two in SLI. Now I can consider a third. Of course, we would be bypassing the on-board. I am clear on this now.

I just saw the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe, and I saw that the place I saw it was almost the same. Except I saw this in the spec and it spooled me away from purchasing it. "*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM3/AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only"

You know, I just realized that ATI is ASUS. Ahhh no wonder, that bytes!! LoL :D
I hope that doesn't mean I am going to have to dump AMD and go back to Intel (blah)? I don't know why ASUS just can OPEN their market more by providing/allowing a choice. I prefer AMD and nVIDIA. I will be alright for looong while with this setup. Maybe by then we'll get some real good tech advancements, or maybe the end (2012) of the world.

:-)

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Recommendations