Question 1: Only 1 PS2 on board, how to use w/ 2 peripherals

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby BarJabba » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:56 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:This would be better.

Nice pricew...only 10 bucks. Of course I need a trackball type mouse. I have a Logitech Trackman Marble FX. My keyboard is a MS Ergonomic. I know these are old, but kept in great condition and really fit me like a glove. When I play games (FPS) I do very good (Muahahaha).

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 am

You can get a new Trackman Marble for $30 that's USB, and I would suggest trying the MS Comfort Curve keyboards. I've got a couple of the top level keyboards you have (split style) and I like the comfort curve better. I've got a discontinured wireless set, keyboard and laser mouse 6000 that I paid $15 for off a clearance sale site.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BarJabba » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Wow fussnfeathers, where do you get such deals?

I would have to see them before I could get them. I am sinking my $$ into this upgrade, so it will be a few months before I can get more additions. With hyper-inflation around the corner, I need to get them before too late. Quandry, I know.

I will see if I can get a pic of the Keyboard & Mouse you propose. I really need the split keyboard, because of my left hand having problems. It's a weird thing, but I have it and have to deal with it.

Thanks fussnfeathers!

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823109156

There's one a couple of steps above the base model. I think mine is more or less the old Laser Desktop 4000, at least that's what driver I used for it. Technically a Microsoft Mac keyboard (oxymoron, I know) that uses Intellitype. Nice keyboard, I really like the sweep of the curve, compared to the almost severe angle of the older ergo keyboards. If you want to get close to your current keyboard with some improvements you might like, look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823109148 . Re-engineered version of your current keyboard. And they still make a plain version of the original ergo keyboard, just all white now, instead of blue and off-white. That's still the old PS/2 interface, just comes with a USB adapter.

Poke around the 'net. Deals pop up from time to time on the good sites, sometimes you just have to be patient, is all.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

MS NAtural is good

Postby BarJabba » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah, I need to have the same type of keyboard that I have. That is why I never got away from this keyboad. It fits so good and I just haven't found one that is this good.

The one you refer to is very good, and I may just see if I can get a budget for it. I did find a mouse and keyboard @ Logitech. The TrackMAn Marble they have is ok. I really would like the base to be the same, I rest my rist on it. The original has a high lift into the palm of the hand. This is well suited to me. However, the two at Logitech are good as well.

the Comfort Desktop Laser (it's under Keyboard & Mouse combos @ Logitech) is the one I would get. I don't like the mouse they put with this kBoard. The do have the "update" trackMan Marble. May be I could get a deal with Logitech ;-)

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby videobruce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:02 am

Then why is there only one port?? :crazy:
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:42 am

videobruce wrote:Then why is there only one port??

Laptops are cramped for space.. so a single port eases that problem.
The PS2 mouse/keyboard port is identical in physical status, but the data pins for the keyboard and mouse are different. The +5 volts, clock and ground connections are the same. With only one port for a laptop, you could use either a keyboard or mouse externally. But the splitter/adapter allows use of both, externally.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 am

Ok, but we are talking about ATX MB's. :wink:
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 am

videobruce wrote:
Ok, but we are talking about ATX MB's. :wink:

Same condition applies. The board manufacturer considers that the majority of users will have a USB keyboard and mouse feature.. and saves about a dollar for each "omitted" PS2 port. The "legacy" serial ports and floppy drive ports are somewhat obsolete.. like the ISA card slots. The PS2 ports may be next??
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 am

PS2 keyboard and USB mouse? That doesn't make a lot of sense either.
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations