Question 1: Only 1 PS2 on board, how to use w/ 2 peripherals

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question 1: Only 1 PS2 on board, how to use w/ 2 peripherals

Postby BarJabba » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 pm

I am considering between 2 like motherboards. In looking at the differences, I find that one has 1 PS2 and the other 2 (the usual). I have 2 (mouse and keyboard). How does one use the board with ony 1 PS2 available, when he has 2 peripherals?

The two boards can be found here:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX
www DOT newegg DOT com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX
www DOT newegg DOT com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

Go to Specifications.

I am wondering how to come down as to which would be sufficient for my use. I do not need on board video as I am using an XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB. :-|

I have other questions relating to these boards. See in this forum.

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:17 am

Try putting all your questions in one thread, next time. They both apply to the same general question anyway.

For THIS question, for a motherboard with just one keyboard or mouse port, no. There is no way to use one port for two different peripherals. Mouse and keyboard are wired differently anyway, you can't plug a mouse into the keyboard port and have it work.

Buy a USB mouse or keyboard. That's pretty much all you can get these days anyway. If you're picky, and don't want to use two USB ports, MS wireless keyboard sets use one receiver for both mouse and keyboard, and just one USB port. Logitech (as far as I know) uses two ports.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ghen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:03 am

That board you linked with only one PS/2 port is a keyboard port (purple). It will not accept a PS/2 mouse. You would have to get a USB mouse if you bought that motherboard.

Strangest setup I've ever seen!!!
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 pm

A lot of laptops have only one PS2 port. But it is a combo port, which can use both the keyboard and mouse.. with a PS2 'splitter'. Check this review of the ASUS M4A785TD-V
(From page link)
..a PS/2 keyboard and mouse combo port.

While the PS2 port has six connections, it uses only four for either the keyboard or the mouse. This link may help understand the pinout of the PS2 connection.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, there is this.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BarJabba » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm

AmEv wrote:Well, there is .

URL not displayed due to restriction.

LOL Did you see the reviews on that adaper? Makes you wonder why they have boards with one ps2.

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Response to fussnfeathers

Postby BarJabba » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:For THIS question, for a motherboard with just one keyboard or mouse port, no. There is no way to use one port for two different peripherals. Mouse and keyboard are wired differently anyway, you can't plug a mouse into the keyboard port and have it work.

Buy a USB mouse or keyboard. That's pretty much all you can get these days anyway. If you're picky, and don't want to use two USB ports, MS wireless keyboard sets use one receiver for both mouse and keyboard, and just one USB port. Logitech (as far as I know) uses two ports.

If I am not incorrect, there is a PS2 to USB Adapter. Since it is a PS2 keyboard, I would hook up the mouse (it's a logitech) to the USB on the back. I think.

Also, sorry I left this out. I am disabled and I need to use these two devices. Ergonomically suited and I haven't seen anything as good for my situation. Plus, I just dumped close to $800 for upgrades for my computer. Took 8 months to save the doe.

Maybe when I am done upgrading (I have few more things to do) I will look and see if there is anything available yet.

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby BarJabba » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Ghen wrote:That board you linked with only one PS/2 port is a keyboard port (purple). It will not accept a PS/2 mouse. You would have to get a USB mouse if you bought that motherboard.

Strangest setup I've ever seen!!!

Are you sure? See my replay to fussnfeathers.

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Postby BarJabba » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks.

I found those adapters BTW. Two dofferent brands SIIG and Belkin. Going for about 13 bucks here locally.

I hope this will help someone out there. 13 bucks i much more affordable way to go I'd say.

BarJabba
BarJabba
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Recommendations