New Protomol Core

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby bdub » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:07 pm

figured something like this was happening. had many many of these over the last week, and i am running several computers under 8 cores because of these, but i figure after a while we stop getting them in new instances, right?
i do use advmethods flag, how long before3 i can use it again without worrying over these bad units?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Ripshod wrote:I don't understand what happened with this one but, apparently, the unit was finished, without error, at 52%

Far from being a loop of death, more an early bath.

Well, this is how protomol handles EUE's. In future all cores will treat EUE's the same way. Of course you won't get full points for it, just the percentage that you completed.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:48 pm

bdub wrote:figured something like this was happening. had many many of these over the last week, and i am running several computers under 8 cores because of these, but i figure after a while we stop getting them in new instances, right?
i do use advmethods flag, how long before3 i can use it again without worrying over these bad units?

The new core is a vast improvement, I'm running a few of these and am not seeing any problems. I reckon its safe to use the -advmethods again :) . I would recomend that you first delete the b4 core before you do though, I'm not certain that the core update is forced by the server yet.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Have had a few work units terminate early. Some Beta-testing before full release is done, after lab trials.. to ensure consistent results while in the field.

Beta Testing was pretty bad on these units. You wouldn't believe the havoc the original core release caused :) . For example, I had a run of units that finished after less than a second, hundreds of them actually, then there was the devastating effect they had on GPU folding as they sucked the CPU dry and left nothing for the GPU to work with. They would only run at 100% CPU usage, lots of the Beta Team refused to run them. The guy running the project then made the decision to put them into advmethods, maybe he was under pressure, who knows, but it was, to be kind, somewhat premature. Lots more problems and quick fixes followed but at last the core is now stable.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team