The Mother Board
How about Motherboards with-out audio built in to the mobo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
refreshener
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: How about Motherboards with-out audio built in to the mobo Reply with quote

I'm sure all the computer smarties here know an audio interface built into the motherboard is useless when you ultimately end up installing a professional sound card.

So For those of us who investigate these things like I'm trying to do and who build home recording computer workstations. The question arises?

Does anyone have any knowledge or personal experience of Motherboards available not integrating any audio on the motherboard? [/SIZE]

Much apprecaite every contribution to my thread. Thanks eek
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to be very hard to find one but you could look into a workstation or server board, these workhorse boards usually come without anything fancy integrated. You may find the price a bit steep though.

The other option is to buy one with onboard audio but simply disable it from the bios. These days this actually works unlike previous encounters where the onboard audio would still show up using resources but not be functional.

With the savings buying a regular board instead of an expensive server/workstation one, you can get a better quality power supply with lower ripple current.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pro audio interfaces worth anything use Firewire these days anyway (with the exception of RME and M-Audio's Delta series), so just disabling the onboard in the BIOS is adquate, you won't be going anywhere near it anyway. Be sure whatever motherboard you choose uses a TI (Texas Instruments) Firewire chip, and if it does not, buy a PCI card that does. It does make a huge difference, cheaper chips tend to be noisy, introducting pops and clicks into the audio signal, and in the case of really cheap chips, often lose the connection to the soundcard in mid-stream. A Xeon based board is an alternative, but expensive, and the processors required are near astronomical in price. It really depends on how far you want to go, though. I do just fine on a stock Q9550 and Asus board with the onboard disabled, and in fact was glad to have it when I started having a balance issue, was able to rule out my hardware and trace it to a simply replaced monitor amp.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
refreshener
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for contributing to my post I will keep T.I. chip in mind.

I am looking to build I high end computer I want to aviod being to much on the cutting edge as they all experience obsticles getting certian things to work the way you expect them too. But will gladly share my experiencs on this forum if I can help anyone.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your experience can set somebody else on the right track from the start. It may be just enough to get them going lachen

You're welcome

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check http://www.adkproaudio.com for a good working idea of what you want in a professional workstation. I know those guys well, they know what they're talking about. Prices aren't bad either.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chenlng
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> MBHW Q&A All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: