CM Storm "Scout" Window Case Mod

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

CM Storm "Scout" Window Case Mod

Postby Mnpctech.com » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:03 am

This will be another Insane Case Mod by Mnpctech.com

The CM Storm's Sniper and Scout gaming pc cases have side panels that are interchangeable, you can use the right panel on left side and vice versa. Normally the Scout comes with a window panel, but Cooler master sent me a sample with no window panel to play with :D This is a great opportunity to make my own custom "Scout" window!

I applied scotch brand painter's tape so I could draw the new window design. To compliment CM Storm's military theme for their cases, I'm incorporating a "Targeted" 120mm machined aluminum fan grill

Before cutting out the window, I'm using a 4.5" hole saw to cut the hole for the "Targeted" grill and 120mm cooling fan.

Hole saw attachments sizes for computer cooling fan holes
For cutting fan holes in acrylic and metal.

80mm = 3” hole saw
92mm = 3.5” hole saw
120mm = 4.5” hole saw

Video Guide To Using Hole Saw Attachments For PC Modding

To cut the window in the Scout's panel, I first use 1.5" reinforced cutting wheel with my Dremel to make the first cut in the panel, this intial cut always me to use my Jigsaw with 18TPI cutting blade to cut the entire panel more efficiantly.

Using Jigsaw with 18TPI cutting blade to cut the entire panel.

Once the window is cut, I drill 1/4" holes so i can use #10 5/8 fan screws for mounting the 120mm fan and "Targeted" 120mm machined aluminum fan grill in the side panel.

I'm touching up the exposed bare steel made after cutting the panel with Matte Black enamel, instead of using u-channel window molding

Stay Tuned, More to come....

(Yes, this case is for the next CaseModBlog Giveaway!)
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to System Modification