120mm Black Cooling Fan with Red LED Beam

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

120mm Black Cooling Fan with Red LED Beam

Postby Mnpctech.com » Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks for the invitation to MB.org T2!

I've received a lot of inquiries offlist asking about the Black fan with Red leds in the NZXT PSU.

The red beam of light over the Black fan blades creates a menacing look. Great fit with our Wolfenstein theme. It's very easy to do yourself, heres how I did it.

I used this 120mm Logisys Red led fan. I'm removing the stickers before applying the paint.

No surface prep necessary when using Krylon's "Fusion" aerosol to paint plastic.

I'm using cloth dabbed with Lacquer Thinner to remove the glue residue left by the sticker.

I've pulled out the 4, leds and tape all of the wires. I've also taken the Kamikaze approach when using Fusion on another project and didn't tape off anything before painting it. Logisys fans are remarkably resilient to my abuse.

Krylon's Fusion dries within 15 minutes.

The fan is finished!

120mm Honeycomb Mesh Fan Grill for the front of the fan.

The honeycomb grill is made from 22 gauge steel and powder coated Black.

I'll be using the "Targeted" 120mm machined aluminum fan grill for the back of the exhaust fan.
Since the "Targeted" grill is aluminum, it requires a different type of paint and preparation before I can paint it. Scuff the surface first with a red scotch brite pad, (or med grit automotive sandpaper) then wipe off the grill with a tack cloth.

I like to use SEM brand "self etching primer" because it provides the best paint adhesion to bare metal surfaces. You want to apply a good enamel paint like "RUST TOUGH" by Krylon.

I allow the paint 24 hours to cure.

After everything the other grill had cured, I installed the fan into the Panzerbox's Motherboard tray.
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mnpctech.com » Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to System Modification