For Half Life Fans

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

For Half Life Fans

Postby snakebite66 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Been keeping tabs on this mod for some time...

Basically it will be a remake of the original Half Life using the Orange Box graphics...seems it is now nearly finished after a few years in development

Check out the official trailer...bearing in mind this is a Mod :o 8)

http://www.blackmesasource.com/
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Looks interesting! The original Half-Life series was great, but I didn't care for Steam wanting to "hold your hand" with the second series!

A group known as "Flaming Sheep" did a mod of the original DOOM for the Doom 3 engine. That was excellent.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snakebite66 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Looks interesting! The original Half-Life series was great, but I didn't care for Steam wanting to "hold your hand" with the second series!

A group known as "Flaming Sheep" did a mod of the original DOOM for the Doom 3 engine. That was excellent.

Hi karl...

Thanks for the D3 Black Sheep link...downloading some of that action right now......

Looking back HL was way ahead of it's time...this mod I think captures the feel but brings it right up to date through todays eyes....

Have to say I really enjoyed HL2...but as you say there is a little of the 'hold your hand'....

For a mod this looks really impressive...cant wait to be honest...
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 pm

The graphics and action were good, for the original HL issue. But the newer game engines and higher-res graphics put it to shame, in a way. One great part of the original HL was that you could use the "E" key when facing a sprite (comrade), and issue commands.. such as 'follow', 'stay put' or 'scout ahead'. Was nice to have a squad following you, on some missions. I'll be getting the mod for HL, soon.
But no matter how "new" and "advanced" the game engine is, we still see octagonal 'round' cans and other objects! :?

If you can't find the Doom mod, I do have it.. 203 Mb.
File Shack.com has the mod, as well as some other Doom mods.
If you do the patch for the Doom 3 game, don't use the 'duct tape' mod. That is already in the fix.
There is a "trap" in the original Doom mod. You get to the end of a hallway, operate a switch, and nothing happens. But that opens a door on the opposite end of a hallway! Sneaky!
When you are in the 'lava tunnels', look for a secret door.. and take notice of the graffiti on the walls.. "Doom will never be the same"!
Not advising any cheats, but if you do, you get all the "gee-whiz" weapons and flashlight from Doom 3!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Deman Risu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Yeah, I've seen this. I think Valve should have put more effort into "Half-Life: Source". I mean, they had the shiny effects and better physics, but it was still pretty much the same.

Black Mesa FTW :D
Deman Risu
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am

Deman Risu wrote:Yeah, I've seen this. I think Valve should have put more effort into "Half-Life: Source". I mean, they had the shiny effects and better physics, but it was still pretty much the same.

um...what? did you play both of the games?

you could then argue that bioshock is the same game as wolf3d, just new shiny effects and better physics...?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 pm

4 months old thread dies!
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Roach412 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:06 am

hunter1801 wrote:4 months old thread dies!

as black mesa still hasn't been released, i'd say the thread isn't dead...and shouldn't be.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GTX 660ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

I got the Half-Life "Platinum" collection originally. Good selection of games, including one 'hidden' SP game called "Restitution".
While the "Black Mesa" was a theme for the game, there actually is a Black Mesa in Arizona!
Have not been into 'heavy' gaming the past several months, since coming down with Lyme disease last Fall. Don't want to "rattle my barnacles" too much. You never are truly 'cured' of the disease!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Droth » Tue May 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Went over to my buddys the other day and he is sittin gthere playing Duke nuke'em on the xbox. As in the original. I gotta say it still looks fun.
Intolerance is a disease, whether sexual, religious or racial, that we all must fight on a daily basis.
-Jason Whitlock
Droth
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Games