Power Supplies 101: A comprehensive guide

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Power Supplies 101: A comprehensive guide

Postby ollE » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 am

ollE
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Tulatin » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Wow, talk about an indepth article. Watch your fingers around the caps, though :lol:
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby nelis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:35 am

Cool article...
nelis

Postby razialx » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:26 am

Can anyone answer a power supply question for me:

I was running some monitor software the other day, mostly to get a temperature reading of my computer, and the software also displayed my voltages for my power.

All were in the proper ranges except the -5V. It was hovering around a -3.99V, which was causing it to flash red (annoying hehe).

The power supply is new, along with most of the components. Is this something I should be very concerned about...

Thanks
Tim

AMD Althon X2
PS: 500W
Geforge 6800
2 Hard Drives
DVDRW
NForce 4 MBO
razialx
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jonnyGURU » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:56 am

razialx wrote:All were in the proper ranges except the -5V. It was hovering around a -3.99V, which was causing it to flash red (annoying hehe).

That's because your motherboard doesn't use -5V. In most cases, the ATX power supply doesn't even HAVE a -5V rail or lead. So, as typical with most software voltage readings, your reading is bogus.

And for the record, the title of the article should be "ATX Power Supplies 101." Yeah.. that should SEEM obvious because this is MOTHERBOARDS.ORG... a PC hardware site, but the article got digged and that was the first point to come up. :roll: Freakin' nerds. Have nothing better to do then to split ends on verbiage. :p
jonnyGURU
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby razialx » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:20 am

What was that second part about? Did I do/say something wrong?

If so, sorry.
razialx
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jonnyGURU » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:01 am

razialx wrote:What was that second part about? Did I do/say something wrong?

If so, sorry.

No. I wasn't addressing you. Just making a general statement about the article.
jonnyGURU
Green Belt
Green Belt

power supply hack

Postby rawsteak » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:27 am

i don't know if this is really a hack, but I was curious about something. My current set up does fine with the power supply that I have now, but if I want to upgrade my system with a 6600GT video card, I need a stronger and better PSU because the card needs its own molex connector, and my computer dies if I try to use the PSU i have now.

would I be able to, in theory, use another lesser PSU outside of the computer, connect the Power On lead to "energize" the PSU and connect a molex connector from the external PSU to the video card in my computer whose other peripherals are connected to the original PSU? what are some possible scenarios? a good power supply will run me about $70-$80 (or more since my friend is pushing me towards antec) which isn't a lot, but I'm kind of in the red right now and I'm tired of using the on-board video card which is crappy.

thanks!
rawsteak

Postby jonnyGURU » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:51 pm

If all you're doing is upgrading to a 6600GT and your PC dies, you must have a pretty crummy power supply.

You should be able to get away with a decent 450W. And even an "Antec" shouldn't cost you too much unless you buy an overpriced, overpowered one.

$59.99: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=ULT31846

EDIT: The above PSU is now $9.95 after MIR at Radio Shack. Use P/N ULT31846.

$55.99: http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/produ ... 17-101-111

$39.99 after rebate until 07/08: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2286096

Any of these will work great for you and are probably better than an Antec at the same price.
Last edited by jonnyGURU on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyGURU
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Trisped » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:44 am

Good guide, it explained a lot about PSUs and what to look for. I like how you showed how to trick the supply on. I also like the look at PFC and the info on efficiency and derating curve. I am looking forward to the 201 class where you talk about independent voltage regulation and crossloading.

Typo
http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_7.html

If a power supply draws less AC to produce more DC, then that power supply is more efficient then one that draws more AC to produce the same amount of AC.

Last AC should be DC. One letter, big difference. :D
Trisped

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site