Like to know something about this MB

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear your efforts were in vain. But with any mobo type or design, if the CPU is beyond its recognition, then the chipsets cannot work with it. Since the Intel Socket 370 design and the similar AMD Socket 462 design (including the Slot 1 and Slot A cartridge processors), there are many extra pins on the CPU die that set the base FSB, core voltages and multiplier for operation. All (or almost all) jumpers for setting the operation are gone.

Had a recent trouble-shoot with an Asus A7V.. the owner wanted to upgrade from a 700 Duron to an 1800 Athlon.. and it would not work. He just could not understand why the CPU would not work. Best he could upgrade to was a 1300 Athlon. Even a BIOS update did not allow the 1800 Athlon to be recognized. Design limitations.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PCCHIPS found MB

Postby Christof » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm glad you're still with me Karlsweldt. The board doesn't seem to be bad after all. It seems that it just takes a special PSU, one that has the extra plug with the 4 pins that plugs into the CPUPW1 socket. Fortunately I just had one of that kind on hand.

It still didn't work with the original CPU. But I have 2 others, and one is an AMD Duron, and with it it starts up, and the BIOS tells me it is a 1000 MHz processor. So far I only have the bare minimum connected, not even a keyboard. But I can see the BIOS info on the screen.

As soon as I have some more time, maybe after this weekend I'll run it some more to see if it will keep on working.
Chris
Christof
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Likely the mobo design is the older AM2 socket type, and cannot work with processors above a certain range. But I note from the manual for that 825G that there are jumpers on the mobo, to set the base FSB.. on page 29. Some CPU types have a base 100 Mhz FSB, some a 133 or 166 Mhz FSB. Others may have a 200 Mhz FSB. For that model, you have a choice of 100, 133 or 166 Mhz FSB. Here is a link to all the AMD processor types for specs.
And here is another specs link for the 825G mobo model.. with supported CPU types.
Possible that CPU you have may be bad, or not compatible to the mobo version. If the older AM2 or Socket 462, and not the newer AM2+ then that would explain the CPU not working in the setup.
There would be an embossed logo and ID on either the heat spreader or the die edge of the CPU. You can compare that to the processor list to find its true ID.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: PCchips MB

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 am

Christof wrote:evasive, The DAEWO mother board that I'm currently using is # CB649M-SI. I do have the manual for it. Boheemee found it for me in MOBOT on Thu Apr 17, 2008, in case you want to look at the manual.

Which means we have yours on file. OK. Thanks for the info :)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 am

http://pcchipsusa.com/prod-m825gv92a.asp

It is Socket A. Latest bios added support for quite a few CPUs:
release note:
1.Support AMD K7 Sempron CPU:
AMD K7 Sempron 2200+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2300+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2400+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2500+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2600+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2800+ (Model 8)
AMD K7 Sempron 2200+ (Model 10)
AMD K7 Sempron 2800+ (Model 10)

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Do ... =2&LanID=0
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: PCCHIPS found MB

Postby Christof » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Christof wrote:As soon as I have some more time, maybe after this weekend I'll run it some more to see if it will keep on working.

Well, the MB was working for a little while. I could view the BIOS but I didn't make any changes at that time. All voltages and fan speed and temperatures, all seemed to be normal.
But the processor speed was listed as 100MHz. Then the next day, just before I was going to add the hard drive and the rest of the components, as I turned the power on, I didn't get the customary 1 beep, telling me that the BIOS is starting up. Then when I re-booted the CPU fan ran for split second and then the PSU just shut down. I can unplug the PSU to re set it, but the same thing happens again. I guess the CPU must have shorted out.

So if I ever find a CPU that is on the list, that you so generously provided for me, Karlsweldt, I might still be able to use the board.
Chris
Christof
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Did you ever try setting those FSB jumpers to see if the system would work with that CPU? Some CPU types will work nicely at a lower FSB speed, but other CPU types may have need of a certain FSB present before they will respond.
You will do no harm by changing the FSB jumpers to a different speed for testing. If it isn't proper, no operation. But possibly a lot of error beeps. Memory would have to be compatible to the different bus speed. Slower memory types just won't work at faster bus speeds.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Christof » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Did you ever try setting those FSB jumpers to see if the system would work with that CPU?

No I never tried that. But now I don't even have a chance, I think. Because, when the CPU is energized, it mediately knocks off the PSU. Now if I unplug the 4 wire connector that goes to the CPUW1 socket, then the PSU does not get shut off. I can tell by the fact that the CPU fan keeps running.
I tried changing the FSB jumpers just now. But it didn't help either.

The strange thing is that the CPU was working long enough so I could go into the BIOS. And I got the following info. about the operating conditions:
CPU Frequency 100 MHz
CPU temperature 96F
System temp. 86F
CPU Fan Speed 4440 as I said before, the temps looked normal to me, so I can't figure out why the CPU should have quit just like that.

Now looking at the 100 MHz, the FSB jumper was set to that position and my other options are 133 and 166 MHz. That begs the question: Is there a multiplier adjustment somewhere? Or is 166 MHz the maximum operating speed of the board?
Chris
Christof
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:13 pm

The specs page on the AMD 2500 show it works with a 333 Mhz FSB, but the base FSB would be set at 166 Mhz (2x166=333). The mobo design does not use the auto-set feature of the CPU die pins to set the FSB. But the ratio or multiplier is set by the pins. The true CPU speed is around 1800 Mhz, but the architecture provides a higher equivalent speed. You will need minimal PC2700 or PC3000 type memory for that bus speed. Even PC3200 should work well.
If the memory installed is not capable of the bus speed, it will not allow paging or POST checking for continuity. A critical error is thus found, and the POST will halt the start-up process.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Christof » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:38 am

The memory I used is PC 2700U-26330 256MB DDR-333MHz-CL2.5.
I assume that the memory should be OK, and I know it is good.

I also got from the spec sheet that the multiplier is inside the processor. Could it be that my PSU can not handle this board and CPU?
It is 300W and the +12 V output is rated at 14A.

Well, I just tried a new 400 watt PSU, that I purchased some time ago but never used. Its 12V+ is rated at 18A. It didn't help either. But now that I have so much info on the AMD processors I'll just wait until I find the right one.
From this exercise I learned a great deal. Thanks again Karlsweldt for posting all the additional info.
Chris
Christof
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum