The Mother Board
Setup a email web page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Setup a email web page Reply with quote

I would like to setup an email contact page on my site without the use of a persons own Outlook program.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a PHP mail form as long as your webserver has PHP. Check this out, it will create the code for you.

http://www.thesitewizard.com/wizards/feedbackform.shtml
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The messages sent are decoded from the form and sent as an ordinary email
umm who or what is going to send that message then? Sounds to me you still need to have a working email client on the system.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evasive wrote:
Quote:
The messages sent are decoded from the form and sent as an ordinary email
umm who or what is going to send that message then? Sounds to me you still need to have a working email client on the system.

We use something similar on DR, ASP though, not PHP (not my choice, I prefer PHP, but whatever). Anybody who is a member of the site fills out a quick form with name, return email address, subject line, and the contents of the email. The server then decodes that form and mails it to whichever email address is connected to that form. Right now, we just have one contact, and it rotates between me and Tim based on our schedules, but you can easily set it up to email different addresses dependent on the contact page requested, i.e. support, advertising, that sort of thing. The end user doesn't need an email client, the website does that job instead.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this on a machine with all email clients removed (long live nlite) and see what happens. I really wonder if it doesn't need the mailto: this time

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evasive wrote:
I'll try this on a machine with all email clients removed (long live nlite) and see what happens. I really wonder if it doesn't need the mailto: this time

It shouldn't, not from what I can tell. I can't remember what module I used a few years ago, but I couldn't run a mail server, so any "emails" had to go through the web server platform. Did everything without any mail client required at either end. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow, I probably still have the software floating around here somehwere. Packrat.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: