Setup a email web page

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Setup a email web page

Postby pbailey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 am

I would like to setup an email contact page on my site without the use of a persons own Outlook program.

Thanks in advance!
The day you stop learning, is the day you die!

Paul
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cwl157 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:00 am

You could use a PHP mail form as long as your webserver has PHP. Check this out, it will create the code for you.

http://www.thesitewizard.com/wizards/feedbackform.shtml
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 am

The messages sent are decoded from the form and sent as an ordinary email
umm who or what is going to send that message then? Sounds to me you still need to have a working email client on the system.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:17 am

evasive wrote:
The messages sent are decoded from the form and sent as an ordinary email
umm who or what is going to send that message then? Sounds to me you still need to have a working email client on the system.

We use something similar on DR, ASP though, not PHP (not my choice, I prefer PHP, but whatever). Anybody who is a member of the site fills out a quick form with name, return email address, subject line, and the contents of the email. The server then decodes that form and mails it to whichever email address is connected to that form. Right now, we just have one contact, and it rotates between me and Tim based on our schedules, but you can easily set it up to email different addresses dependent on the contact page requested, i.e. support, advertising, that sort of thing. The end user doesn't need an email client, the website does that job instead.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I'll try this on a machine with all email clients removed (long live nlite) and see what happens. I really wonder if it doesn't need the mailto: this time
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:32 pm

evasive wrote:I'll try this on a machine with all email clients removed (long live nlite) and see what happens. I really wonder if it doesn't need the mailto: this time

It shouldn't, not from what I can tell. I can't remember what module I used a few years ago, but I couldn't run a mail server, so any "emails" had to go through the web server platform. Did everything without any mail client required at either end. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow, I probably still have the software floating around here somehwere. Packrat.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Programming