Combat Arms

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Combat Arms

Postby Deputy1515 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 pm

I just recently began playing Combat Arms.

It is a free FPS. The only costs to the game are optional micro-transactions that allow you to purchase new skins and aesthetic upgrades. The weapons upgrades are purchased using points that are earned through game play so no one can gain an advantage through the opening of their wallet. Weapons upgrades are purchased for a limited time. Time amounts are based on how many points you spend for the upgrade. They range from 24 hours to 1 week. Hint: Get a scope for the pistols and rifles. If you get nothing else, the scope helps for more precise aim.

I have been enjoying the fast-paced game play. I have not had this much fun since the old Rogue Spear days. I do very well w/ pistols but not as well w/ the rifles. There are plenty of people hosting games and the players I have run into thus far have been polite and mostly courteous.

The maps are well designed with both small and large maps for those of you who have a preference.

There is a leveling system similar to other games. The more you play the more you gain XP and the higher rank you earn. Earning ranks gets you better weapons and upgrades. However I have found so far that the weapons that you start out with are very capable. The XP and ranks are persistent.

Apparently there are a number of hacks for the game. (I don't use any of them) Due to this if you do well you will be accused of using the hacks. This is pretty damn annoying. As noted above, I am pretty good with a pistol and enjoy playing the Pistol only games. However, I am noticing a trend. If you own somebody you are accused of using hacks. You go from feeling good about your accomplishments to having to convince the accuser that you do not use hacks. Annoying.

If there are any people here who play Send me a message. I go by the name Depco
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:02 pm

i just heard about this game. I am giong to download it when i get some time to try it out. I'll let you know once i get it set up. I'm always up for trying free games.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

i just installed it but every time i try and run it it crashes to desktop at the login screen and then an error pops up saying there was a problem with hackshield. Have you seen this?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Deputy1515 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Ill have to look up in the forums... maybe you have some emulation progs it doesn't like
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:42 pm

i think i figured it out. I forgot to add the program to the exceptions list for my firewall. It seems to be working now.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Deputy1515 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Good to hear. Let me know what your handle is and I'll add you to my friends list. Let me know what you think about the game as well.
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:02 am

cwl157, I havent really played it yet but im going to give it a try now.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Well I gave the game a go last weekend. I'd have to say it was a blast but had a bunch of obvious errors. For one the game had some "unlegit" players. There was no way to get rid of them, as reporting a player was the only option, and takes quite a long time. If you wished to exit the game, you would earn nothing for your doings which is quite disappointing, in a capture the flag match when grouped with 2 hackers, one from each side, both unkillable, and camping the spawns. Also they have yet to release the ability to create your own maps and the current maps are to say the least unbalanced and unplentiful.

But even worse than the hackers and lack of decent maps, is the gear. In the game, to win you have to do one of three things: Grenade spam; use a sniper rifle; or use an automatic rifle. I actually don't mind the grenades at all but considering that you get 2 a round and on the most popular of gamemodes, (deathmatch) players respawn every 5 seconds, the spam can be rediculous. Get a game with the standard 16 players on a small map, and you can expect grenades going off in your spawn every half a second. The sniper rifles are quite ridiculous. The accuracy and precision of a sniper rifle while scoped is next to perfect, even while moving. Couple in the obvious upgrades and the semi auto sniper rifle and you have an unbeatable target. The rifles however are the most abused weapon in the game. For one the guns are completely unrealistic and inconsistent amongst the variety. You have a ump that fires its entire clip in about 3 seconds. Not to mention the clip is 35 rounds. There's also the good ol' g36 that apparently weighs less than most sub machine guns. Even worse the spray of the guns is next to none, especially with some of the guns, such as the g36.

Another fun feature of the game is the gearability option. You can suit your character up with lets say 150lbs of gear and still run a good 8 mph. Take off everything and throw on all the speed gear and you can go 9.5. Basically you can carry somewhere around 6 weapons 3 or more of which can be machine guns if you please. There is absolutely no speed correction to carrying multiple or heavier weapons, as long as you aren't currently wielding them.

The good part about the game is that it is somewhat innovative. This is the first fps I have actually liked that incorporated the buying of gear and weapons. It's fun, especially due to the fact you must constantly purchase the gear based upon the skill level. I too liked to use the pistols. Sadly my pistol, with the + ammunition upgrade had less than 2 clips "21" rounds. Meanwhile someone with a rifle has over 3 clips. I never understood that.

I wish they would fix the knife, always loved melee in games, but the knife in combat arms doesn't register at all.

Because of the serious imbalance and lack of maps, I decided to uninstall the game. I played through 12 hrs or so. If it ever gets patched the way it needs, I may come back, but right now the game has too many issues.

PS: Sorry for the format of the post, just randomly stated my input.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby Deputy1515 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 pm

LOL Thanks for the post.

I agree that the plethora of hackers is making the game almost unplayable at this moment. As I advance in rank I can see more hackers plying their cheats in order to get better kill to death ratios (useless as a measure of skill due to all the hackers) and faster ranks. It is annoying as hell. It appears though they have a fix getting ready to go live soon. I'll wait until they get that out b4 I $hitcan the game.

I actually enjoy the maps. To each their own.

The one glaring omission on the dev's part is not including a Vote kick or master kick/ban option for the host of the game. This would alleviate the hackers somewhat.

I will say though that as a free FPS it is pretty well put together. Hopefully more people try it out and enjoy it. That should help the developers to fix some of the errors of the game.
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Perhaps it will help it survive. But these free games don't usually make it very far. Especially when there is little to no income coming there way. I'll give the game 4-6 months nothing more.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Next

Return to Games