The Mother Board
Thinkpad T41 Will Not Power Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Thinkpad T41 Will Not Power Up Reply with quote

All of a sudden my daughters IBM T41 laptop will no longer power up. Have checked battery by using another one, will not power up with different power supply, have tried with one ram module in either slot, nothing. The only thing that happens is when i remove the battery and replace, the battery light flickers lightly for about a second when i press the power button. Nothing happens if i press it for the second time. Removing and replacing the battery will do this each and every time.
Any ideas or confirmation of my suspicion that the system board has died?
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a dead laptop. Did the laptop get wet by chance?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No damage, no wet or anything. My daughter was using it yesterday. She shut it off last night and plugged in the charger. When she unhooked the charger this morning nothing would happen.
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like she may have been a victim of a power surge. Did she have it on a protected outlet (i.e. surge protector?)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have gone into a 'hibernation' mode. The key marked "Fn" plus one of the "F" keys should bring it back to life, if still viable. Check for a user's guide on the model to get the use of those keys with different color markings that are combined with the "Fn" key.
Laptop batteries have a thermal safety fuse in their case. If it melts, then there would be no output on its terminals. You can check with a 12 volt lamp that draws around 1 amp of current, to see if the battery is good.
The terminals on the battery should be noted as (+) and (-). A third or fourth terminal would be a heat sensor lead. But no need of polarity concerns, with a small lamp. Just that the main terminals are used.
If the keypad did get any liquids into it, try disconnecting it to see if the unit powers up. Doubtful by using an external PS2 or USB keyboard would it cause life signs to show again, if the keypad is shorted.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly no and i have thought about that also. Not hibernating. Tried known good battery and power supply. Dont know how to power up a laptop with the keyboard disconnected. Have a bad feeling about this as a system board is more than a new laptop.
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=69a6a699ff1d498aaf7806accadf2ab9

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: