Thinkpad T41 Will Not Power Up

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Thinkpad T41 Will Not Power Up

Postby beaconengr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 pm

All of a sudden my daughters IBM T41 laptop will no longer power up. Have checked battery by using another one, will not power up with different power supply, have tried with one ram module in either slot, nothing. The only thing that happens is when i remove the battery and replace, the battery light flickers lightly for about a second when i press the power button. Nothing happens if i press it for the second time. Removing and replacing the battery will do this each and every time.
Any ideas or confirmation of my suspicion that the system board has died?
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby greytrains » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 pm

It sounds like a dead laptop. Did the laptop get wet by chance?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby beaconengr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 pm

No damage, no wet or anything. My daughter was using it yesterday. She shut it off last night and plugged in the charger. When she unhooked the charger this morning nothing would happen.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby greytrains » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 pm

It sounds like she may have been a victim of a power surge. Did she have it on a protected outlet (i.e. surge protector?)
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:35 pm

May have gone into a 'hibernation' mode. The key marked "Fn" plus one of the "F" keys should bring it back to life, if still viable. Check for a user's guide on the model to get the use of those keys with different color markings that are combined with the "Fn" key.
Laptop batteries have a thermal safety fuse in their case. If it melts, then there would be no output on its terminals. You can check with a 12 volt lamp that draws around 1 amp of current, to see if the battery is good.
The terminals on the battery should be noted as (+) and (-). A third or fourth terminal would be a heat sensor lead. But no need of polarity concerns, with a small lamp. Just that the main terminals are used.
If the keypad did get any liquids into it, try disconnecting it to see if the unit powers up. Doubtful by using an external PS2 or USB keyboard would it cause life signs to show again, if the keypad is shorted.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby beaconengr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm

Sadly no and i have thought about that also. Not hibernating. Tried known good battery and power supply. Dont know how to power up a laptop with the keyboard disconnected. Have a bad feeling about this as a system board is more than a new laptop.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby jronald » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 am

My son carries in his childhood, the wonders I have sought my lifetime to find, and squandered fortunes to posses
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Tech Support