The Mother Board
Video Driver on Mother Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawsonnjj
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Video Driver on Mother Board Reply with quote

Folks,

I have been given the task of figuring out why the video driver for the monitor only displays 4 bit color. I couldn't change it as there was nothing else listed. Even after I installed another driver, the display showed I could change it to 24 bit, and after setting it to that, it defaulted back to 4 bits. The machine is an older model. But it has been loaded with Windows XP. Do I need to identify the mother board and look for video drivers or do I install a new graphics card? I would appreciate anyone's help. Thank you. big grin
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the motherboard make and model?

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
The driver set must be intended for the specific feature model. If a driver disk came with the mobo, use the driver set from that. The driver set is critical so that the OS knows what each feature is, and how to work with it.
Not only video, but bus interaction and power resources.. plus other devices.

If you had no driver disk for the mobo, then get a diagnostics program such as Everest Ultimate Diagnostics from www.lavalys.com/ which is not expensive. There is a free trial version, but some features are locked out. Another program is PC Wizard from http://pc-wizard-2008.en.softonic.com/ which is freeware, but the authors would appreciate a donation to keep it so.
Either program will display all the "secrets" of your system.. and provide BIOS data and also links to drivers for hardware.

When first powering up the system, note the lower left-hand corner of the screen.. there will be a long string of characters there. This is the BIOS string, a positive ID of the mobo. Copy that string, and Google it for links to drivers/manuals.
Viper028
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i have a question related to the motherboard and my video card........... here goes: One day i was playing some strategy game and my PC just hanged crying i did a reboot a couple of times but no luck so got my pc formatted and the guy who formatted it took off the VGA saying that it had some heating problem now my bro thinks that the motherboard's VGA and the External VGA are having a conflict through Bios..... if it is possible than how to fix it through the Bios menu...... Plzzz send me instructions and details.....ASAP"

by the way:
My motherboard's specifications are: Intel D946GZIS
My VGA's specifications are: MSI NX7600GS NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600SERIES GPU
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You first have to un-install your video option from "Add remove programs" and uninstall it in device manager.
Yes you may have to disable the on board graphics or choose auto on the options in the BIOS.
Then download the new driver from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html

reboot and ignore all new found hardware notifications.

Go to the file that you just downloaded and install the drivers.

reboot again and try it.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: