Bad bad capacitors

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:12 am

More additions. The Gigabyte graphics card out of an Packard Bell iMedia ca 2003. ANY Forton-Source FSP power supplies used in any Packard Bell with the 12V DC jack for the speakers on it. Brands: TAEPO and OST. Next challenge: making a decent side unit for the DC jack.

edit: make that all FSP power supplies from the period 1999 to at least 2004-ish. All CRS power supplies from the same period (same factory, different label). Found in Procase cases, maybe others too.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 am

:cussing: :cussing: Asrock

P4VM900-SATA2 as well. First cap gone and replaced. It is the same brand again, OST. Good to see they have changed a few to Sanyo, that saves me replacements.

But I already know this won't be the last time I have to take it out :(
I don't have replacements yet for all of them... I feel like walking into a shop one of these days and check what brands are still using bad brand capacitors...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Post subject: Bad bad capacitors

Postby xseoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:34 pm

GeorgeCCarter wrote:Add to that the ASUS K8N8X-LA motherboard (a motherboard made for HP machines) specifically HP Pavallion A640N, also referred to as the Diablo UL6E.

From Taiwan ?
xseoer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Jito463 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 am

Well, since it was recently resurrected, I thought I'd add another board to the list.

My Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board recently died. Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement K8N Ultra-9 (no need for SLI). The bad caps are KZG 6.3v at 3300uf, two of them right next to the CPU. Interestingly enough, I also recently replaced a Acer K8VM800-RH - made by Gigabyte - with an identical cap that was bad.

I also saw one smaller cap on the K8N, that looked like it was just beginning to bulge up. It's hard to read, but it looks like it says Rubycon on the side. It lists as MBZ 6.3v at 1000uf.

Old news, I know, but since no one mentioned those caps or boards, I thought I'd add it to the mix.

Maybe later, I might try and resurrect them. For now, there's no need.
Jito463
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:28 am

That Rubycon most likely suffered from your power supply doing weird things, I'd really quick check your power supply as well.

As for the FSP/Fortron-Source/CRT and the like, I can report 2005 is still a bad year. Removed one from an Acer Aspire T120E, the Gigabyte motherboard in there has Nichicon HM series caps, you guessed it, they were also about to blow... I'll check the brand of the PSU I removed from another system 2 weeks ago. It is summertime and high temps are killing for these bad cappies...

edit: add Aopen cases with 300W power supply to this list. There's an OEM FSP/Fortron-Source power supply in there. Just died on me... bulging caps...
Last edited by evasive on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 pm

From the Intel reseeler channel documents:

Intel® Desktop Boards D865GBF, D875BZL, D865GLC, D845EPI, D865PERC, D865GRH, D865PERL, D845GVSR, D865PESO, D845GLVA, D865GWV, and Intel® Entry Server Board S875WP1-E.

The D865GLC is mainly the 2200u/10V in the front of the board.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Looks like I have a problem with bad caps on my Chaintech S848P system!
For the past few days, it has had an occasional "post freeze" and I have to hard reboot to complete the bootstrap. Then Windows has frozen unexpectedly now and then.
Upon opening the case, I note two large green caps with a "K" on the top near the CPU are starting to swell! Will have to shut the system down and go to my secondary (backup) system before I loose any data.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 pm

So I finally found replacements for those Sanyo 1800 mfd 16 volt caps. Not a bad deal, 10 for 10 bucks plus shipping. Found a dealer on eBay, "LF Components" in Brentwood, Tn. The originals were marked '105°C S.E.30 WG'. The new ones are marked '16ME1800AX'. Just a tad bigger in height and diameter, but plenty of space for them. Also found one 470 mfd 16 volt cap that was bulging at the top. Had spares. Likely it was heat that caused the swelling, as they are right behind the CPU exhaust!
System put back together, works AGAN again. Image

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station."
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Thought I was going to luck out. But the system is showing signs of other problems, such as sporadic freezing. And it takes a good two minutes to start from an overnight shut-down, to complete a POST. So my secondary system is back in service, to keep my F@H processes going.
The only alternative is a Socket 775 mobo, with the 848P/ICH5 chipset. Found one for about 70 bucks, a suitable 3.2 Ghz CPU another 40 bucks. Might be lucky and the OS will just shrug off the differences. I can reuse my old video and sound card, plus the DDR 400 memory. Will miss that 'old faithful'. :(

Edit:
That mobo I got as a replacement was DOA, "no BIOS" activity. Sent back.
Found a refurbished ASRock Conroe 865PE mobo on eBay, socket 775 with the similar chipset features. Set up with a Pentium 4/775/3.4HT/800 CPU and 2 x 1 GB Corsair CMS DDR400 memory. My W2K settled in with very few "hiccups" and is working great again. :D:D
The Chaintech mobo was set up on the test bench with a Northwood 2.8HT/800 CPU and it did a burn-in test with no problems! May have been too much current use (and heat) with the Prescott 3.2E CPU?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:55 am

so much for recommending Dell... not anymore. ever. I know I am not supposed to have an opinion on this as forum admin. But this is on personal title only.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/1 ... _problems/
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support