Predict any upcoming technology leaps/droughts:

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Predict any upcoming technology leaps/droughts:

Postby Flyin » Sun May 12, 2002 9:56 pm

While not my main interest for computing, Video Editing(converting and preserving old vhs to vcd) has been a recent sub interest of mine. But it seems our technology needs to take one more step before doing so with ease(non 4 hour tranfers).

A)Is there an upcoming jump in cpu technology(thoroughbred), or is it all a bunch of hype for a small change?

B)I read the next step for hardrives will be removing moving parts; solid state I believe. Is this looking way into the future, or perhaps 1st-2nd quarter '03?

I'm stuck on the worry of building a new comp to discover the newest, best technology is released 2 weeks later. I realize this is mostly an unavoidable and constant problem, but perhaps there's a storm a brewin' I'm not aware of. Hence this post, and the hope you can help me. 8)
Flyin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby atang1 » Mon May 13, 2002 1:20 am

It takes two years to iron out all the kinks of any new technlogy. No use rushing to get it at the top price. Two year old motherboards are now 70% off.

Video editing has to have 4 gb of dram memory and shut down the virtual memory.

The new technology is still going in the direction of speed and power; but you won't see motherboards capable of supporting 4 gb of dram. You have to use four computers in a cluster to achieve it.
atang1

Return to General