Thermaltake or cooler master???

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Thermaltake or cooler master???

Postby huh? » Sat May 11, 2002 9:17 pm

hey guys, im in need of a cpu cooler and i was looking at a thermaltake 7+ and cooler master's IHC-H71. i will be using this on a p4 478 northwood 2.0 ghz. ill tell you my pros and cons of these coolers:

volcano 7+
cons:
dont like the mounting clip.
dont like bottemside of heatsink;it has a small step down for somereason, dont think it'll decrease performance but i dont like it.
dont like the gap in the middle for non p4 cpu clip.

pros:
fan adjustability
style.

ihc-h71
con:
no fan adjuster

pros:
retaining clip looks sturdy
flat bottem

i think thats it. :?
heres a link for the coolermaster cpu cooler.
http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/en/produ ... c-h71.html

im sure everyone else know's the site to thermaltake. if not
www.thermaltake.com

what do you guys think on these coolers?

thanks.
huh?
Initiate
Initiate

Thermaltake

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 11, 2002 9:40 pm

Thermaltake

I personally like the adjustability. The cons you mentioned are cosmetic, and I think the thermaltake will work better.

I have used alot of thier products, they are very good.

My 2 cents and I am sticking with it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby huh? » Sun May 12, 2002 8:11 pm

hmm, not many replys. anyways i ordered one regaurdless, since it has the fan speed controller. :D
huh?
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon May 13, 2002 4:43 am

FYI That step down is where the heat sink comes into contact with the die in the center of the CPU. Since the square "Frame" is basically circuit board/insulator, the center is where all the heat comes from. So that may be a cosmetic looking Con, but a very functional Pro. The only down side is because of this outdention, you need to be a little more careful of putting too much pressure on the CPU chip itself when installing the Heat sink/fan/
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajkeence » Mon May 13, 2002 10:01 pm

I use the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ on my system now. I started off with the generic AMD heatsink and fan that came with my Athlon XP 2100+. Generally, the temp in my case was around 36-39 degrees Celsius. Now, with the Volcano 7+, the temp in the case actually resides around 27-30 degrees Celsius. Made a pretty big difference in my case so I would definitely recommend the Thermaltake :)
ajkeence
Initiate
Initiate

Postby huh? » Mon May 13, 2002 10:21 pm

Johnny Mnemonic wrote:The only down side is because of this outdention, you need to be a little more careful of putting too much pressure on the CPU chip itself when installing the Heat sink/fan/

so how much pressure is too much or not enough?
huh?
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue May 14, 2002 1:49 pm

huh? wrote:so how much pressure is too much or not enough?

Too much pressure? When you hear a crack, snap, or pop... :)\
Not enough? you never get the heat sink secured.

The "out-dention" may extend just far enough to exert all pressure you are applying when installing the heat sink/fan onto the CPU die, ZIF socket, or underlying circuit(mother)board. The outdention doesn't necessarly cause more potential problems, just that the force is directed towards the exact center (die) of the CPU chip(instead of the larger surface area outside of the rest of the chip).

Kinda funny, the CPU attached with the Zero Insertion Force socket, but the heat sink takes a screwdriver and usually some pressure to place the tension spring over the prongs on either side of the ZIF socket. (speaking on current AMD XP chips.) You would think there is a better way, but I guess there is too much mass.

But don't let that scare you, it's easy. I slightly bent the tension spring so I didn't have to worry about the screwdriver slipping off and into the motherboard, or breaking anything. But I also made sure the spring was still tightly holding the heatsink in place. I have a mid-tower case, and my motherboard is on it's side. So no AMD Athlon on fire horror stories here.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks