finding the right motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

finding the right motherboard

Postby raginnbull » Sun May 12, 2002 7:40 pm

ok i dont know if this is the right forum to ask.but i was needing some advice about buying a new motherboard.ok i have been looking around for motherboards but i dont know all that much about motherboards tho.all i'm wanting in a motherboard that is stable and reliable and fast.i was trying to find a motherboard that uses pc100 168 pin no parity unbuffered sdram dimm chips so i wont have to buy new ram chips.but i went to that soyo website and looked at their motherboards and i thought they looked cool but they use ddr memory.and then i started to wonder if i am supposed to use a motherboard like the one i have in this pc but i want a fast motherboard that will support a athlon xp cause friends told me that athlon xp is alittle faster than p4's.my pc is a ibm netvista with a socket 370 (BCM model#IN810P) motherboard and a p3 processor,2 dimm slots that i have one 256mb chip in one and a 64mb chip in the other and 3 pci slots and one mr modem slot.which is alittle strange because i was going to flash this bios on here and i went to the website but the model they have listed isnt exactly like mine because they have chipset intel 810 as the chip set and mine is a intel 810e but since i seen that i changed my mind about flashing this bios.well thats all i can think of but i would really appreciate it very much if somone could give me alittle insight on what i should do.
raginnbull
Initiate
Initiate

Erg

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun May 12, 2002 7:58 pm

If you want to go Athlon XP or P4 I would upgrade your memory aswell. The PC100 is really going to bog down the system.

But for PC100/133 type RAM you'd be looking into motherboards like the Asus A7V133. The latest BIOS update does support Athlon XP processors. Or the Jetway V266B. Same as above...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General