Is my Router or ISP cable modem failing?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Is my Router or ISP cable modem failing?

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

So like always I have "issues" with my cable internet service. :? Spectrum tends to be that way, and I'm stuck with them. So I adapted and work around the issues the best I can.

Recently they doubled my internet speed for "free", after the $5 price increase a couple months ago. :wink: :lol: When the internet is working, it works fine for my needs. But when it's down it's a pita.

**So what is going on now is I'm loosing connection. But not directly by my cable modem. At least not all the time. :?
As far as I can tell my cable modem (Ubee DDM352.1) provided by Spectrum is all lit up. My router (Linksys MAX-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigbit Router Model# EA7500) is also connected. Then after sometime my network connection gets lost (/). My router seems to have lost the connection. But the
cable modem is still lit up like normal. :(

Prior to the "upgrade" my modem would get disconnected, but reset itself by itself. If not I'd reset it. That problem is caused by Spectrum. After I got the speed increase, I received a notice from Spectrum. They say my "equipment" needs to be replaced, it's not optimized, yada,yada.

**What is causing this problem? Is their modem the culprit, and needs to be replaced? If so should I return the Ubee DDM352.1 for what they deem "optimized"? Or should I return the Ubee DDM352.1, and use the ARRIS SB6190 I bought last year?

How about my router? Could that be going? How do I determine if it is going? If so, what should I get to replace it?
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Is my Router or ISP cable modem failing?

Post by Mr T »

Do you use a VPN?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

No VPN used, I don't even know how to set one up :( .
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

I'm still having this same problem. I replaced the ISP cable modem with a new ARRIS SB6183. I also replaced the Ethernet cable.

The problem keeps happening the same way. My modem is fully connected and running fine. Then at random times the router looses the connection.
To bring it back, I need to reboot the modem. :(

Is my router failing? Or am I missing something?