The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 am

Post subject: Laptop noise
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

A friend has an older laptop with W10 Home. Recently their Gmail emails have been deleted and there is a loud siren noise. I don't know if the siren noise is coming from the speakers or the laptop itself.

I never heard of a laptop having a siren sound to it. Could this be hardware related? What would cause the gmail emails to be all deleted?

Thanks....All

Post subject: Re: Laptop noise
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Sounds like a virus to me... If not, the fan may be gummed with dust or have an obstruction...

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Mr T wrote:
Sounds like a virus to me... If not, the fan may be gummed with dust or have an obstruction...

Hi Mr. T,
These friends of mine i guess are typical seniors who are good friends but really know nothing about computers. I had them purchase the premium version of Malwarebytes, they installed CCleaner free, Super Anti Spyware free and use Windows Defender. They know nothing about PC maintenance or what not to do with emails or browsing.

I have spent many hours over there every once in a while cleaning it up. This time they told me about the deleted emails snd the siren sound. They are away so i don't have access to it at the moment. I never heard of a siren sound coming from a laptop. i doubt they have run the utilities I put on the PC. If a nasty has gotten into it it probably got there by them clicking on something they should not have.

If a hardware failure like overheating CPU or fan of some sort does the PC have the ability to emit a siren sound ? If they clicked on something that installed a virus would it now be difficult for a utility to recognize it as a nasty?

If there is a siren warning sound feature would it come from the speakers or from the siren itself?

Would the BIOS have a record of the past temps? Or an event log of some kind?.

Fan motors usually have bushings for bearings that go dry and seize up? The sound is one thing but then there is the deleted emails. They have a iphone cell phone that uses Gmail for there email but the cell phone's emails are all there. My thinking is the emails come from their gmail account and are received by their phone. That is telling me their account is intact and the email problem is in their laptop? Would a virus effect both a sound plus delete emails?

Thanks

Mark. c327

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Yes, a virus can delete files and affect the sound card. Hardware wise if the CPU fan is being noisy, it can sound like a siren sometimes throttling up and down. Most likely a virus me thinks.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Mr T wrote:
Yes, a virus can delete files and affect the sound card. Hardware wise if the CPU fan is being noisy, it can sound like a siren sometimes throttling up and down. Most likely a virus me thinks.

got it.
Thank You

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

c327 wrote:
Mr T wrote:

got it.
Thank You

Mr. T
This is the latest:
I know you probably forgot more about PC's than I could ever hope to know in my lifetime. All I am is maybe an advanced home user if that.
My friend came back from vacation and I took a look at his 5 year old Windows 10 Home H.P. Laptop. It would not take his Windows password. A few days before he went on vacation it had been making a siren kind of sound. Then a few days after that all his Gmail emails disappeared and then he got locked out of Windows. I went over to his house and true none of his passwords would work. A couple of years I told him to write down the COA of his operating system he did but can't find it. Not having the COA I was not certain to reset his computer with out it, I went home for a beer.

Two days later I went over to his house and he tells me his password is now working and his emails are all back? With this I checked his Malwarebytes Premium and it was updated. I installed Super Anti Spyware (again, it was missing) and updated it. I installed CCleaner (again was missing) and updated it. I updated Windows Defender. I ran all of the utilities and all came back clean except Super Anti Spyware which returned over 600 items but nothing looked very bad, I deleted all of them.

I changed his Windows Password, defragged the computer 2 passes. I ran Belarc Adviser and updated it then printed a copy out. I also changed his password on his Google Gmail account. Rebooted the PC and all passwords and emails are fine. Rebooted quite a few times checking the passwords all good.

Today he tells me he can't get into Windows again and that his Windows password is not working just like the last time. Now I am stumped. I told him previously I wanted to run a few tests on his HDD (5400) and the memory but we never got that far. This PC is so slow its unbelievable. He tells me it was way faster when he first bought it 5 years ago. His 1 terabyte HDD is so slow. its not the internet service which is Fiber optics 10 Mbps.

Now that he/me has the COA I am wondering if resetting the O.S. back to the way it was when he got it is going to correct anything? Could he have clicked on something that was masquerading as something that was good but in fact was a virus and being that he clicked on it was telling the PC that it was good and because of that the utilities are not picking it up ?????

This PC has probably 75% free space and basically nothing on it other than a few personal photos and emails.

My concern is a hardware issue. I don't think I would suggest to him to fix it being its age, level of hardware installed,and initial cost.

I know you said me think virus -- Me also, but after running these utilities with nothing serious being returned could a virus of some kind still be present that has been evading these scans?

What do you think. Thanks...............Mark c327

UP Date:

In researching this problem some more it seems quite a few others have this same issue. What I have read is that the latest Windows 10 update was corrupted and that is causing the Windows password sign in error ???? The fix seems to be a reinstall of the O.S. By doing that wont this happen again once the newly installed O.S. is up dated? Any truth to this ????

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:12 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

To me sounds like it is starting in Safe Mode.

Finding out if something is preventing it from starting in normal mode requires checking the Windows Event Log with eventvwr.

We can try and guide you through this process.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

evasive wrote:
To me sounds like it is starting in Safe Mode.

Finding out if something is preventing it from starting in normal mode requires checking the Windows Event Log with eventvwr.

We can try and guide you through this process.

Last I saw this PC it would not accept the password. I know how to get to the System Configuration - Boot Options and will check that if I can get into Windows. Same as the event viewer logs

Just before this happened the last time the PC was acting normal, but very very slow. It was like waiting to load a 30 MB file on dial-up :)
If I can get into Windows what part of the event viewer are you interested in. Windows Logs I gather but then it gets heavy.

Thank You

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:50 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

And checked for proper cooling of the CPU? If slow that might be the CPU throttling back because of overheating risc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:33 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

evasive wrote:
And checked for proper cooling of the CPU? If slow that might be the CPU throttling back because of overheating risc.
Ok will do. This laptop is not an expensive PC. I know not all BIOS's are the same. Do you think this HP BIOS will have the temps and/or fan speed ?

Thanks